Pigeon repellant?

Page 1 of 2
I installed two TV camera under the eves of my house. The %%% pigeons use it as a landing point and crap all over my garage apron.
What might serve as a pigeon repellant, at reasonable cost? They make so-called pigeon spikes but they are quite expensive on the internet.
Thanks for any help
--
www.rationality.net

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:56:49 -0700, WER wrote:

A used 20 gauge shotgun.
There must be better solutions!

Rubber/fake snake. Owl or hawk decoy.
Sonny
Sounds good. Goes well with the two fake TV cameras.
--
www.rationality.net

"Sonny" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
On 10/10/2010 12:09 PM, Sonny wrote:

I had a customer who was having problems with the flying rats. He put up an owl decoy and when I climbed on the roof to check on things, there was a pigeon screwing the decoy and glaring at me for interrupting him.
TDD
I'd be thinking air rifle and pointy hunting pellets. Nearly silent, and not likely to attract much attention.
Glad the cops didn't interfere with her pigeon shoot. Well, until they really had to do something.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

LOL at this post Smitty.
As a young boy, I am now almost 60, I recall the city police using the pigeons on the court house for target practice. Would scare the s*** right out of you if you could not see what was going on.
For the OP there is some chemical, if it hasn't been banned, that roofs can be treated with that give them "hot feet" and discourages them.
Blocking any areas where they might like to hang out or a pellet gun are also good options. In this day and age I would refrain from real firearms unless you live in the country.
Send PETA a pigeon or two.
--
Colbyt

The courthouse where I grew up used recordings of shotgun blasts. It worked for a while.

PETA wouldn't be happy.

Squab on a spit.
I like the thought of police using pigeons for practice. Good use of resources.
When I was a kid, my Dad got some tar stuff to put on the eaves.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:45:10 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Just as absurd if the OP lives within city limits. At least I wasn't being 'serious' like you.

Even with a quiet BB gun or pellet gun, you have to sit out there 24/7. And then someone will notice all the pigeon carcasses, and your troubles will have only begun. People who suggest shooting never think of, "What do you do with the bodies?"
And it only takes a short time until your house looks like one in Beirut.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Drag 'em into the house and claim home invasion!
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:22:01 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My guess is breeding and raising them cast a lot more than the "bounty"
On 10/11/2010 7:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

IT WAS YOU! 8-)
TDD

More expensive than 2 CCTV cameras?
MAKE YOU OWN. Some small nails, a few strips of plastic and a roll of Scotch double stick foam tape should not break your budget.
SIGH.
--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
On 10/10/2010 10:56 AM, WER wrote:

Now you know why commercial cameras are almost always enclosed in those plastic bubbles now. Clear, silver, or smoked, depending on camera and application. You can get full bubbles, half bubbles, 1/4 bubbles, etc. Not cheap, though. They are available on-line.
For a low-buck alternative, check the plastic basement window well protectors at the borg, and see if they are clear enough. Or you could always build a box out of plexiglas, and find some way to hang it. Pigeons home in on any horizontal surface or perch that is out of the sun, wind, and rain. Find some way to eliminate that, and they will go elsewhere.
By the way, those spike things don't work real well. They put those up on the office tower where I work, and the pigeons used them as anchor points for their nests. Weave enough twigs and grass around the spikes for the foundation, and build up from there, and the nest ends up being very durable. Maybe outer window sills with a 45 degree slope and a teflon coating would work. Pigeons are very adaptive, and can make a home about anywhere.
--
aem sends...

<snip>

That is NOT why, it's because people who use them for anti-human (sic) security think people have still not caught on to the fact there is a camera in there. And indeed, many have not.
Related subject - small dark rectangle near the video screen of your ATM bank machine.
<snip>
--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
On 10/10/2010 8:29 PM, thanatoid wrote:

With the itty-bitty mirrors on either side, so people will lean in real close to check themselves out, thereby providing a nice high-rez closeup.
--
aem sends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2If9bVJJLY