Petroleum odors? ? ?

I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive on the floor of my car, and now I can hardly get in it.

The additive smells like a mix of oil and gasoline.

Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I might use to get it out?

Reply to
Ray

A match??????

LB

Reply to
LB

That is a tough one to get out. If you are serous about getting it out, I suggest a car detailing shop or a carpet cleaning place.

If you want to try it yourself there are a number of possibilities. I would suggest trying to get as much soaked up as possible using paper towels or rags. Get most of it up then put some more down on it and weight it down with some heavy weight over night. Repeat until it does not seem to pick up any more. You can also try kitty litter. Give it time to do it's stuff. Then it is carpet cleaning stuff, like the spay can stuff, follow the instructions on the can.

Make sure you work not just with the carpet, but the pad under the carpet as well.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Pull the carpet and the pad and throw in the trash. Order new from the dealer and install yourself. Who knows, it may be cheaper than all the cleaning that you're about to do, and, with better results.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Pine tree air freshner under your nose and the windows wide open....

Otherwise you can try taking the carpet out of the car (pain in the ass) and cleaning it, but that's a crap shoot if it'll ever come out.

Reply to
Sexytom976

I would be worried about breathing benzene, ethylbenzene, toluene and xylenes - all cause cancer. Get it professionally cleaned, replace the carpet, or I would recommend the match solution. Good luck, David

Reply to
Dave

The most volatile components will have evaporated by now. So, in lieu of a carpet cleaning pro or an auto detailer, you can use a garden sprayer (or some other method) to apply a strong detergent solution to the affected area, and then draw it out with a wet vac. Don't be reluctant to get the padding wet, because that's where most of the additive remains. A good liquid dish detergent or liquid laundry detergent should do the job.

Afterwards, leave the windows open as much as you can for a few days.

A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

On mythbusters, they buried a pig in a corvette for 6 months. I'm not an expert, but it appeared that if you were to do this, it would be strong enough to cover the gas smell.

Reply to
Matt

Ventilation. Fan. Yes.

Reply to