Pendent Lighting question

I'm getting ready to install a couple pendant lights above my bar. We are going to put them on a dimmer switch. I was telling a friend our plans, and she asked if we got a special low-wattage dimmer since the pendant lights should be low wattage. It said it should indicate this on the packaging (it does not, nor does it state anywhere that I need a special dimmer switch). How can I tell if they indeed are low-wattage, and is it okay to use a standard dimmer switch?

if there's a transformer, then it's low voltage. if the bulbs have a voltage written on them, then look at that. if they are low voltage, then no, you can't use a standard dimmer switch. she's also wrong; not all pendants are low voltage.
Hhhmm, it uses a JC bulb, 50 watt.

Lamps Plus have a good summary of when to use the two main types of low voltage dimmers, if your pendant lights are actually low voltage (your friend may have said low voltage not low wattage). Basically, magnetic stepdown transformer-fed 12 lites need matching (magnetic) dimmers. Electronic transformers need to have electronic dimmers. We installed electronic dimmer in a room using magnetic fixture transformers, and now have buzzing sounds at all light levels except full brightness. We'll have to fix that. See: http://www.lampsplus.com/htmls/dimmerstyleselection.asp?category=Dimmer
Okay, this is going to be a stupid question, but how do I tell if it has a magnetic transformer?

yet would be info from the manufacturer of the light unit. Go to their website, give them model no., and ask for tech. help with identifying the type of transformer.
I have done it for years with no issues.
Herein lies the problem. It's a Hampton Bay light, which from what I can tell is sold exclusively at Home Depot (at least as far as I can tell by doing a search on Google). I called Home Depot, and the lighting guy said if it does not say low wattage, I'm okay.

I mean, "low voltage".
BTW, the transformer does say: Input: 120V AC 60Hz Output: 12V AC 60W Max. Halogen Lamp

Okay, it's definitely metal, and not electronic. So, are you saying I need a low voltage dimmer now, even though the HD guy told me it should say low voltage on the box or packaging?

Whine? Meaning the buzzing somebody earlier mentioned? I'm guessing if I used the standard dimmer switch, and I get the buzzing, I can just swap out the standard dimmer with a low voltage one?

Great, thanks for all you help.

There are no stupid questions. magnetic transformers have an iron core and weigh more than an electronic one, which if you have no reference point, means nothing to you. call the place where you bought it or better, the manufacturer and ask them. HTH

It's definitely low voltage and most likely it's electronic as they tend to be cheaper. The transformer is most likely in the canopy. Take a look at it, if it is a little plastic box and not a one pound metal thing, it's electronic. If you do need an electronic low voltage dimmer, all of the ones I've seen require a neutral connection, which you may not have in the switch box. HTH

No, If that's the case , you want a magnetic low voltage dimmer, which only needs two wires, just like the switch ( or three if it's on a three way switch). You could try a line voltage dimmer, but you'll probably get whine

Yes