Patching tape/mat'l for instant-carport tarp?

I have one of those lovely instant-carport type structures we've all seen at Costco.

[In my own defense, I have to point out that I live out in the boonies, not visible from the road, so no one but me has to look at the thing. ;-) ]

Yesterday we had very high winds, and I found out the really dramatic way that my instant-carport wasn't adequately staked down. (They look quite funny on their backs in a big field of Scotch Broom... kind of like a turtle on its back with legs waving in the air. But thankfully without the urgent sense of a living thing in distress that makes you feel like you HAVE TO drop everything to get 'em turned back upright immediately.)

Well, with a friend's kind assistance, the poor thing is back on its feet today... but sporting 4 *large* tears.

Duct tape, of course, comes immediately to mind. However, it would be a pity to thus deface a thing of such delicate and ethereal beauty as this structure. (Translation: I've been unable to find duct tape in off-white, which is the color of the tarp.)

A replacement tarp would cost roughly the same as a new structure.

Besides, my friend tells me that she's had mediocre results using duct tape for similar exterior patch jobs in the past. (She says it delaminated, top of tape separating from bottom layer, in about 6 months outdoors.)

Sooo... it occurred to me that maybe something is actually made for similar purposes? And that, if so, the good folks here would know all about it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-- Michelle

Please, Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die.

Reply to
Michelle in WA state

Call your local tent'n'awning place. They will have something they use to repair rental tents and such. Think a giant version of a iron-on blue-jean patch. They probably buy it in bulk pack, but they may be willing to sell you a few feet. I assume you are too far in boonies for a house call. How painful would it be to unlace the tarp from the frame and take it in? They could actually sew a patch in.

Of course, you could always sew a patch yourself, sailmaker style.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers