painting steam radiator pipe

We'd like to paint one of the main feeds for the steam radiators upstairs to match the wall cover of our living room.
Can I use the same latex wall paint? Or should I use a special type of paint? Can I get it match a custom wall paint?
Thanks.
Latex will work but if its rusting oil primer would be a good idea