Painting Silicon Caulk

Any suggestions on painting silicon caulk? Is there a primer than might help?
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Make sure the label says paintable. If you have the unpaintable type already on -BTDT- then try cutting and scraping as much as you can out and then go over with the paintable type. Kevin
On 7/10/2008 4:33 PM snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com spake thus:

I've never seen silicon caulk; seems like it would be rock-hard. Sure you don't mean silicone caulk?
spake thus:

It's for repairing computer chips
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

it's silicone. Silicon is something else.

Get some paintable caulk and cover the silicone caulk and then paint it if practical. If not take the silicone out and start over.
Yes - as others have said you can't paint non-paintable silicone caulk. You can only paint on the paintable caulk.
I found this out the hard way not realizing there was such a difference and my solution was to cover the "non-paintable" with a thin layer of "paintable" and then it took the paint just fine. Wasn't a big deal in my case since both were clear and I was repainting with same underlying color - so it was tough to see any problems anyway.
But this all brings up the question. Why is there paintable and non-paintable caulk?? Now I always check and always by paintable just in case I'm going to use it in a paintable situation later.
Is this a trick just to frustrate us? Try to sell more caulk? Is one better than the other??
Inquiring minds...
-- Richard Thoms Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals http://www.TopServicePros.com
I think when Consumer Reports tested calk many, many years ago, the paintible silicone was inferior. But technology has changed and it could very well be superior by now.
"topservicepros" <richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com> wrote in message

Thanks everyone, even those who corrected my spelling :-)