Painting PVC pipes

Can anyone recommend which paint to use to paint PVC pipes? The paint should be as durable as possible.
Thanks,
Chuck

Rough or smooth? If it's the smooth, shiny stuff, you'll have to sand it. After that, any primer and paint should be fine.
No Way... to just paint,,,,,,, you have to prime them first.. With a primer For PVC , even then its risky
I dunno - what kinda durable are you looking for? Hold up to weather, or a beating with a ball bat. Probably not much will stand up to the latter, but about 10 years agon on a lark I slapped a brush full of Sears Weatherbeater on the 18 inches of 3 inch PVC vent pipe (2 of them). The house is undergoing it's 2nd paint job since then, but other than fading some, the pipes are still hoding the paint.
Mark - Central Ohio USA area.

You can avoid sanding the pipe by lightly rubbing it down with a clear PVC primer first. I said "lightly" because it actually softens the outside of the pipe (this is the same solvent used prior to glueing the pipe so be very sparing with it. It is also highly flammable.) After that, you can use most any enamel paint. However, Krylon now has a paint that is used for plastic patio furniture and reportedly has a bondable feature for use with PVC. I would check into it.
Jim

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

(with 220 I think, just enough to take off the gloss), primed it with some gray spray primer I had on the shelf, then finished it with a couple coats of gray enamel (again what I had on hand, Krylon maybe?) to blend with the grayish siding. Its only year later but looks fine.