Painting Plywood Need some help

So, I need to either stay with oil based or latex for the primer and top coat ? Thanks, Iowa883
Iowa883 wrote: ...

Not necessarily...the other post was talking about taking a bunch of returned or other low-cost paint and using it as primer...was mixing all the various things he found together--obviously, that would have to be at least all an oil- or latex-based to have any chance of mixing well...
There are both oil and latex primers suited for either oil or latex topcoats. The particular primer will say whether it is/is not suitable for a given top coat.

In addition to the excellent advice you've gotten from others, I use a sanding sealer, especially on non-veneered plywood, before priming. This will raise the loose grain, which you then lightly sand off before priming. It makes for a smoother and more consistent finish and one that requires less paint.
Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Steve Manes wrote: ...

Very good point I intended to mention...