Painting old steel

I painted some rusty old pipes. I coated them in a milky white substane to neutralise the rust, then an undercoat and topcoat. The rust dabbled through, unfortunately. Has anyone done that sort of thing...? Thanks John
I want to paint some pipes that are a bit chipped and have (maybe) a waterbased paint... what ae the next steps...? Thanks John
JohnH wrote:

You'll need to get some Kilz from wherever you buy your paint. It goes on like white paint, but provides a shield against any kind of existing staining such as rust or water stains which can bleed through ordinary paint. Then you paint over the Kilz.

If you don't want to topcoat, POR-15 works well but don't get it on anything you don't want it to stick to.
nate

Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id%&SBL=1
Your best bet is to remove the rust, then prime and paint (with appropriate primer if it's galvanized).