Painting Exterior of Home

Hello All!

It looks like in the next two weeks I will go from being a life-long renter to a REAL homeowner! I am really pumped and all the things I have learned here in AHR will finally be put to good use.

I just hit Google for some info, but want to be sure I have my facts straight. The home I am purchasing has new paint on it, but I really dislike the color.

Here is what I think I know:

1.) Don't need to prime anything unless it is bare. 2.) Scraping and sanding is only for failed paint areas--which I shouldn't have. 3.) All I will have to do is simply paint over the color that I don't like. Correct?

Thanks for your thoughts!

EggRaid

Reply to
EggRaid

It's been my experience, and reported elsewhere...painting is 80% prep and

20% painting (exterior). Someone needs to at least clean and touch every square inch that will be painted,and maybe 'repairs' beyond that. Modern construction and materials are as cheap as can possibly be assembled, to look decent for 3 months 'til sale. Have it done right once, and then you will have a base you can just renew over time.

Reply to
TimS

Hey EggR,

Wash down the house with your garden hose to get off dust. Caulk any cracks or voids, then paint away.

Note on caulk: You get what you pay for A $2.00 tube of caulk may last 1-2 years after application. I spend between $3 and $6 per tube for good caulking. If your house is in good condition you will only need 1 or 2 tubes to do the job so why scrimp.

Buy your paint and supplies at a "paint store" not at HD, Lowe's, or Wal-Mart. The guys working at the paint store where contractors buy their paint are typically better at problem solving and making suggestions. The big box stores do have a few good paint guys, but I think the inexperienced outrank the experienced.

Have fun,

Craig in AZ

cm

Since you are in Texas, as am I, you may want to try this place for paint.

This is what I am using on my house.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Bare wood must be primed, other aeas *may* need it. One common priming reason is a change between latex and oil based paints.

Shuldn't have or *don't* have? Check, scrape and sand. You'll get a nuch better job if you prep correctly.

Well, cleaning, caulking and a thorough inspection and sanding/scraping/priming is needed. Pressure washing is usually a good idea, with a mild detergent and chlorine to kill any mildew. A good scrubbing will help too.

But any decent book, web site or magazine article on painting will cover the techniques. Your local paint supplier can offer advise as well.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

One word: Caulk

And if you have hardboard type siding, get a small mirror and look under the bottom row of siding. If you see a gap, go to the hardware store and buy some backer rod, stuff it in and caulk. Will keep the air in and the bugs out.

really

don't like.

Reply to
Art Begun