Painting a standing seam metal roof?

A friend of mine has a two story house in upstate NY that has a metal roof. The roof is somewhat rusted, however it still has many years life left. So, he is going to have it painted.
His current plan is to use aluminized roofing paint, based on the advice of his personal handyman. I personally don't like that idea, as I think the house would be far more attractive with a nice dark green roof.
Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations? I would think there would be some modern elastomeric type coatings that could be applied in a variety of colors that would look great and last a long time.
At least scrape off the rust, eh? Or use a rust-inhibiting type paint? Tom
I would recommend primer and elastomeric. Here is one brand to consider: http://www.koolseal.com/product_family.asp?family=elastomeric ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Here's another Tom who thinks prep is the key. Check out the metal and choose a rust inhibiting primer. After that, color is open. TB