Painting a popcorn ceiling

Page 1 of 4
I recently moved into a house with popcorn ceilings. The granules look to be up to 1/4", and I think the paint is latex. The ceilings need painting, but I've gotten several stories as to how to do this.
One - you have to spray paint, else the popcorn will just fall off when it is wet down with a brush or roller.
Two - you don't have to spray paint, just don't thin the latex paint and use a very long-napped roller.
Three - "shudder" - just strip the stuff off the ceiling.
Any advice would be appreciated! TIA
FurPaw

"Two" worked for me - I forget how many total coats went on, but the first coat was Kilz (latex, not oil-based). One coat of Kilz, one or two of ceiling paint. I actually don't know why one couldn't just paint with Kilz and forget the ceiling paint if white is what's desired. Anyway, you want a thick nap on the roller. Easy as pie.
Rebecca
FurPaw wrote:

I just did one in a bedroom with Kilz, and it was a pain in the ass. It looks good, but it took 2 coats with a super thick nap roller, and then going around and hitting all the little spots I missed. Of course I did it in a dark red, and it was originally white, so white to white would be alot easier.

What sort of "house" was this with a red ceiling bedroom??
Rick Shaww wrote:

LOL. My 12 yr old wanted to pick his own colors for his room. Slate grey, with burgandy trim and ceiling, with salt and pepper carpet. We promised him that his room would be the first one we re-modeled when we moved, since moving is hardest on kids. I wasn't excited about his color choice, but it actually turned out really nice, but I won't ever paint another popcorn ceiling anything but white, or whatever color is on it already. I might possibly try spray paint next time. Should have this time, since we were painting everything else and the carpet was getting replaced...oh well, live and learn.
replying to Curt Martin, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

When I previously mentioned SPRAY paint for the ceiling, I should make clear - NOT to use the aerosol cans to spray, cut a paint sprayer if you do that sort of thing. I had my new ceilings done (flat paint the painter chose).
But when I found them impossible to clean from accidental spewing a ceiling with a soft drink, I covered with Kilz then semi-gloss acrylic/latex.
After a New Years champagne stain and a granddaughter using a mixer that wasn't turned off outside the bowl ...well,Further damages have been easily cleaned. With a 12 yr old - I'm sure you understand accidents!
THey make specials rollers for this. Trick is DO NOT ROLL BACKWARDS. If you miss an area get it with the second coat. If you roll backwards you risk picking up the popcorn. In other words do not hit an area twice.

Actually, scraping off the popcorn is not so bad. It's messy, but doable. Lay down a tarp and just scrape off the stuff, fold up tarp and shake outside. Of course, wear safety goggles, mask, etc. so you won't be wearing popcorn in all parts of your anatomy. It really dates a house. It has some acoustic properties. Other than that, it's not very attractive, especially if the previous owners smoked and you don't. If that's the case and you paint, you are sealing in the gunk. Have you called a sheetrock guy in your area or a painter or called a local Sherwin Williams or Pittsburgh paint outlet. (stay away from any advice you would get from Lowe's or Home Depot) My ceilings are not white, but not overly colorful either. They are textured, orange peel, but not popcorn. Base your decision on the long run.. Perry.

replying to Perry Templeton, J E Lawless wrote:

If I should ever have to replace a ceiling - I would look into alternatives over popcorn. Replacing because it's not the current style isn't worth the time or cost. (style will change again!) Scraping a semi-gloss painted popcorn ceilings - would be way too much work, hire someone and write the check.
As someone who just finished such a job, I suggest the following:
Don't try to "clean" the ceiling; simply brush off any loose particles; protect the floor with visqueen, etc. Buy a slotted foam (not long nap) roller and an extension handle. Use Sears ceiling paint--guaranteed to cover in one coat, and it does.

replying to Norm Dion, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Ceilings that receive opened spewed liquids of various kinds will always 'show' the spots and grow worse with time if not CLEANED.
There is no 'brushing off' house dust that includes any form of oil and this always happens..and flat latex just soaks it up & shows through.
Cake batter when a child is trying to 'help' can be found on the ceiling and everything below. Using semi-gloss paint - the stains can be removed with any good cleaner...no additional painting required.

Are you talking about kitchens? Of course semigloss in the kitchen and bath.
Popcorn ceiling in a kitchen? That's just crazy talk!
Cindy Hamilton

On 8/26/2013 3:26 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Our house, built in 1978, had it. Long gone though.

May I just say: Eeeww!
IMNSHO (and, apparently, yours), kitchens should be flat and hard and easy to clean.
Cindy

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:26:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

Popcorn ceilings ANYWHERE is just crazy talk. Instant rejection.
replying to Cindy Hamilton , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Well, this time 'crazy' works best. So well, that I've painted all popcorn ceilings with semi-gloss. I personally do not kick winning horses.

Easy enough to strip and you will have nice smooth cleanlooking ceilings. We did the entire house over a year or two, a room at a time. Ed
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (FurPaw) says...

This is by far the fastest. Just get a big roll of visqueen, staple it to the walls an inch below the ceiling, spread it out so it covers the floor and all the room contents, and have at it with an airless sprayer. Buy 2.5x as much paint as you think you will need. Popcorn drinks the stuff. I did my house with latex eggshell titanium white.

This can be done, but it's a royal PITA. DO NOT try to roll over a wet surface, or the popcorn will just wrap around your roller. If this happens, there is an aerosol that you can use to patch the hole, but it is very messy. Staple visqueen an inch below the ceiling and cover everything in the room before using it. :)

Also do-able. Be aware that the original sheet rocker paid no attention to ceiling finish, because he knew it was getting sprayed. Chances are he didn't even topcoat the tape seams. You will have some finish work to do, but then you can brocade or eggshell.

I never give advice. I like to watch a man work. It can be very entertaining.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

FurPaw wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. You've given me several options to consider!
FurPaw
My house has pop corn ceilings, too. I painted the ceiling in the laundry room using a Wagner spray painter (cheapest kind) - it was a lot of trouble and it only looked so-so when I finished.
My DH painted the great room and eat in kitchen . He started with an expensive, long napped roller that I bought especially for the job. He didn't like it - switched to one made out foam rubber (roller) with little slits in it - also recommended for the job. He hated that one. Then he switched to the cheap ones - you know the kind that come three to a package and you just throw them away. They worked best of all. He had to roll it and then when it dried, he had to roll it again.....from different direction. It still looks like he missed some places but it's all right. We can live with it.
We used regular white ceiling paint.
Dorothy