Painting a popcorn ceiling

But the real question is, why would you want to keep ugly ceilings? My wife scraped 2000 sq. feet of that crap from our house, one room at a time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no choice. Perhaps the fad of flat ceilings is most important to you. Unpainted popcorn looks totally unfinished and impossible to clean in any manner. To each his own

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Calcimine hasn't been used for nearly 100 years. Used to run into that in old houses. Paint wouldn't stick to it for long, and would sag and crack off. Any paint. Probably what you're talking about wasn't around when I was painting. I wouldn't trust it anyway. Calcimine is pure trouble. You're painting chalk. Two main solutions. Scrape off all paint put over it and scrub it off with TSP. Doable but a REAL PITA. Best solution. Cover it with 1/4" drywall.

Reply to
Vic Smith

In my case, it didn't fit the style of the house. A split-fieldstone house with a cove ceiling in the living room. Overall the house looks a bit like an old English cottage.

Then some jackhole sprayed popcorn on the living room ceiling and added glitter as a final "f--k you".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You bet. Our agent was under orders to not bother showing us any house with excessive wall paper (more than one room) or anything that even looked like popcorn. Not going to happen - don't waste my time.

Reply to
krw

really ugly. ALWAYS use flat and if you can work a roller you won't see the roller marks. OR remove the popcorn.

Ugly was the flat dead look of flat latex. With age it got dingy looking even more so. Unacceptable ! Some must go with the current 'fad' - some could care less. With Semi-gloss it can be cleaned.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

I'm sure oil based pain would work, it's the seemingly forever-smell that I avoid.

Unless there has been some really bad damage to a ceiling - or a definite need to replace it, paint works great & who wants to fight the popcorn falling if you don't have to after one good paint job!

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Ceilings that receive opened spewed liquids of various kinds will always 'show' the spots and grow worse with time if not CLEANED.

There is no 'brushing off' house dust that includes any form of oil and this always happens..and flat latex just soaks it up & shows through.

Cake batter when a child is trying to 'help' can be found on the ceiling and everything below. Using semi-gloss paint - the stains can be removed with any good cleaner...no additional painting required.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Good for room acoustics and a home theater room. Add Floor carpet, foam wall treatments, bass traps.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What makes you think flat ceilings are a current fad? We've had 'em for decades.

How dirty does your ceiling get? Do you walk on it? Put your hands on it?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Are you talking about kitchens? Of course semigloss in the kitchen and bath.

Popcorn ceiling in a kitchen? That's just crazy talk!

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Our house, built in 1978, had it. Long gone though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

May I just say: Eeeww!

IMNSHO (and, apparently, yours), kitchens should be flat and hard and easy to clean.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Mine has little baby-pig hoof prints all over it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Popcorn ceilings ANYWHERE is just crazy talk. Instant rejection.

Reply to
krw

Well, this time 'crazy' works best. So well, that I've painted all popcorn ceilings with semi-gloss. I personally do not kick winning horses.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

[::START TYPING YOUR RESPONSE BELOW THIS LINE]

Pardon. Yes, most 'ceilings' are flat. We're discussing flat PAINT on ceilings.

The FAD is to NOT use popcorn - making a ceiling very flat. Ones that I've seen were not attractive, but a lack-luster blah. Not sure what paint was used...but I wouldn't have it. Fads change, we'll see later what it's going to be.

Ceilings can get very dirty - see earlier comments.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Wrong! Popcorn was a fad that, fortunately, went the way of harvest gold and avocado appliances. It was a cheap-ass way of hiding crappy workmanship.

...and you think popcorn is a good thing? Utterly amazing!

Reply to
krw

I agree. There's plenty of decorative textured finishes that look way better - but they all take longer to apply, = more money, = since popcorn is cheap and easy that's what's used. Probably costs more to do a standard smooth finish that doesn't show joints and screw holes.

Personally, I like simple and clean, makes it easier to patch later on too.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds like an excellent plan, Dorothy. I wouldn't attempt a vaulted ceiling with any application - you will be delighted to write the check. Money well spent. Just make sure he gives you what YOU want, not HIS idea of what's best for you.

Reply to
JE (ELAINE) Lawless