painting

I repaired some spots on our kitchen wall where the basecoat which was latex with a finish of melamine oil paint.The problem i am facing is if i prime the new work with latex primer i am bound to get some on the old melamine oil paint,will the latex primer stay on it? orshould i use a oil primer to make sure the finish coat will not peel with the primer.Thank you .Tom