Paint removal from pole barn siding?

Is there anyway to get old paint (probably oil house paint) off pole barn siding without removing the finish on the siding? The siding is cream colored and the paint is dark brown and it's unknown how long it's been there.

I'm guessing the siding is baked enamel on steel but I don't know for sure. It's standard pole barn construction.

Any help will greatly be appreciated. I'm sick of looking at the mess the former owner left after painting window trim.

Giselle

Reply to
Lady Taker

Sandblasting?

Reply to
Martik

I doubt it. Just repaint.

Reply to
Whackkmeeoff

What sort of grit are you thinking about? And why wouldn't that remove the cream color from the steel, too? How strong is baked enamel?

Actually, it's such a funny sized area (picture wood framed windows with paint slopped around the outside of the wood and onto the siding) I can't see how I could sandblast it without damaging areas that I don't want de-painted.

Giselle

Reply to
Lady Taker

It this old factory paint is baked on, then even paint remover isn't going to do much good.. And you shouldn't mess with the metal primer under it.

I would recommend you prime and paint over it. It is always best to leave a solidly adhered paint on rather than damage the primer or metal surface under..

Sandblasting isn't a good idea because the metal sheeting is only going to be about 28 gage and will distort if you blast or scrap it.

The final option would be to remove it and put new metal siding on. (someone else may like that color and pay you something for the old metal siding)

My opinion and experience, FWIW.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think maybe I didn't make myself clear. The sheeting on the pole barn is cream colored, factory issued.

The previous owner painted the window frames and a sloppy portion of the siding *around* the windows with dark brown (oil?) paint. (I think he drank as he painted. It's the only explaination I can think of to explain this mess.) I only want to get rid of the overpainted dark brown paint on the cream siding. Painting the whole building for a few sloppily painted windows doesn't seem practical.

Would paint thinner remove the old paint without damaging the original siding color if it is baked on? I'm *assuming* that it is baked enamel on galvanized steel but I really am guessing. Before I became the owner of this one, I never saw a pole barn before.

Giselle

Reply to
Lady Taker

Take a piece of the siding to a well known paint company (such as Sherman Williams). Have them computer match the color and make you a quart or gallon of paint to match the siding. Then just paint the offending areas. It may not be a perfect match, but computer matching is pretty good these days.

Reply to
Whackkmeeoff

"Whackkmeeoff" wrote

That sounds like a good solution to me. Thanks.

Giselle

Reply to
Lady Taker