Saw For Cutting Big Panels

Anyone who has carried big heavy sheet of plywood around, or tried to cut a straight line on one has probably cast an envious eye at the track-mounted panel saws that lumber yards use to slice up big sheets. With this easy to make jig, you can turn your portable circular saw into a panel saw that will do the same job in your own home. It's a simple A-frame stand that leans against the wall and holds any style portable saw. Slide the saw down and it slices a panel in a single stroke. Turn the saw sideways and you can rip panels to their full length by feeding them into the saw lengthwise.

...for more info visit our website at:

A.T.

What technology does it involve that a 2x4 x8' doesn't incorporate ? (ie: a straight edge)

Reply to
TCS

Two cheap clamps and a 2x4 will do the trick.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use 1 8' and 1 4' piece of 1/8" x 1 1/4" flat iron and two small C clamps. That allows operation of the saw either way as it will slide under the motor unless you are making a really deep cut.

Harry k

Reply to
Harry K

Not me!

I simply place the sheet flat on the floor, on blue foam insulation. I then clamp a straight board to it, and set the blade for 1/8" thicker than the wood. I can kneel right on the panel and cut quickly, accurately and safely.

The foam board is light, cheap, and weatherproof, so it's easy to store, inside or out..

Panel cutters are nice, but they take up an inordinate amount of space unless the user cuts a lot of sheets. I'm simply cutting them to a manageable size, for final trimming on a table saw.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:53:08 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

They take up an inordinate amount of space even if the user cuts a lot of sheets!

My solution is to hinge it to the ceiling joists and haul it up out of the way when you're not using it.

Btw, you can build your own for a fraction of the cost of commercial units.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

The original message appears to have been posted by someone selling plans, so not only is it not practical for most people here ( L.M. seems to have both a use and a solution to the storage problem unlike most of us) but the original message does not belong here. (I don't believe L. M. was the originator of the thread)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Bob Bowles