Paint, Is there a big difference?

Page 5 of 5

All "ok" huh. Why don't you mention specifically which paint products you're talking about so we know what you're saying. For someone with 25 years of "professional" painting experience, you're about as vague as you can be. It's like saying Chevrolet cars are the fastest. Downright meaningless.
On 20 Sep 2006 21:55:25 -0700, "jeffreydesign"

I've heard the above claim for years that Benjamin Moore paint was the best.
As a professional landlord who does as much interior and exterior painting as many painting professionals, I just don't see it.
Benjamin Moore's interior paints are overpriced and don't perform as well as some lower prices varieties.
Their exterior paints are Ok - just OK in my opinion. I've had terrible luck with some of their porch and deck paints compared with other brands, and yes, I'm talking about using the same appication techniques.
For exterior stains, I've have found that the Behr 10 year solid color stains are excellent.
Some of the Benjamin Moore semi-gloss exterior trim paint that I've used weathered no better than the Gidden. But the Glidden was only 60% of the Benjamin Moore's price.
Professional painters have often bragged to me about the quality of the paint that they used or the quality of their jobs. However, do they truly go back to examine their work 3 or 5 years later?
I hired one such painter to do exterior work at one of my rental buildings. He used finish paint on bare wood without priming. He argued with me saying that his 25 years of experience proved his quality. I asked him for another reference. After driving to that reference where he had done the same thing on window sills (no primer), I noted that after just two years, his prior job was peeling on all the sills.
I then fired him...
Want an exterior paint job that will truly last? Prime the wood with pure linseed oil, wait the month it will take to dry and then finish with a top coat of oil paint. Of course, the above isn't too practical in most cases.... :-)
Doug
[...]

Sigh! Whom to believe?
I had always thought oil paint best for exterior wood. But was told it is not as flexible as acrylic, so might crack/peel over time. I have to do ALL my wretched, miserable-looking window wood trim, so want best bang for my buck.
???
Aspasia
<aspasia> wrote in message

It does not matter is some areas. Oil based paints are being phased out due to the VOC in them.
aspasia wrote:

If your wood is BONE DRY, and you expect dry warm weather for an entire week after painting (NO rain or dew etc), and these are all non-foot-traffic surfaces (like window trim), and there are no exposed areas of the wood that could absorb moisture (like end cuts that are inaccessible to paint but water could get in there), then go with oil, even though it's messier to deal with.
Otherwise, use a high quality 100% acrylic latex; the glossier the better (as far as durability is concerned; if you need to hide imperfections then less glossy is better).