Paint, Is there a big difference?

"Ether Jones" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I tried some of the Color Place exterior white slightly tinted on not too picky trim. The trim was white to start with. It took two coats to get a decent cover. It was just try it, what the hell. I knew better.

So, "$15 Walmart paint", Color Place line.

Reply to
Al Bundy

According to Scott Townsend :

Cheaping out on paint is a false economy - you end up spending MUCH more time painting, and usually use enough more that the good quality stuff would have been cheaper.

We don't get a great deal of variety up here of the premium brands, so we stick to Benjamin Moore. Infinitely superior to the local hardware store chain's brand - the stuff is very frustrating - I think it took some friends of ours _four_ coats.

We introduced them to BM (after spending 6 days painting 9 rooms with BM), and the first thing they remarked "painting is fun now!".

Reply to
Chris Lewis

On 18 Sep 2006 21:20:03 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com quickly quoth:

Don't you see the key? You powerwashed then painted. Paint doesn't like moisture. You mentioned waiting 3 weeks the first time but didn't mention any wait prior to painting after powerwashing.

========================================================= What doesn't kill you +

you hurt more. + Web application programming =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Talk to the owner of a good established paint store. Most

This is clearly wrong. A store owner, and I did operate a retail business, wants to stock what sells. That's why cheap products exist in the first place.

Reply to
Stubby

Thank you all for your replies.

The Benjamin Moore was the Color Recommendation that I received. So it was not 'paint' specific, just the color scheme.

Thanks again...

Scott Kelly Moore, Benjamin Moore, Sherman William, Glidden, Berr, Etc...

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Well, because it's $15, yes. It doesn't matter that Walmart might or might not have a reputation for cheapness. And it doesn't matter that they have buying power. Maybe it's $18 paint, but that is still pretty cheap paint. At least once you're used to using top-grade paint of around $25 or more. Once you've painted with one-coat low-splatter paint, you will never want to go back. You can buy 2 gallons of $15 paint and then paint your bedroom twice. I will buy 1 gallon of $28 paint and paint my bedroom once, thank you very much.

Reply to
jeffc

First time I can recal reading good advice regarding paint on this newsgroup. Only change I'd make is that the top paint brands do carry cheap paint too. For example, Sherwin Williams StylePerfect. Let's face it - there are times when a cheap paint WILL make do. At least they're honest about it - they have a chart that rates each of their paints 1 to 5 stars in different categories. StylePerfect rates 1 star for hiding and coverage, while SuperPaint rates 5 stars.

Reply to
jeffc

It's not enough to specify BM - you have to specify the exact paint type. All the top manufacturers make crap paint too ya know.

Reply to
jeffc

So far as what it looks like after painting, I always say...

Walk into a house - any house and tell me what brand of paint they used.

Was it Ralph Loren, Walmart, or you can't tell what brand?

I use Walmart myself...

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
trbo20

No, that's NOT the key. I didn't mention waiting 4 (sunny) days between powerwashing and beginning to paint because, well, only a complete IDIOT would start the prep with the wood still wet. Same reason I originally failed to mention leaving the raw wood for several weeks, only an IDIOT paints green wood. We waited 4 days, applied the Bin, waited 2 more days, applied the primer. Waited 2 more days, applied coat one. After 2 more days, coat two. Sheesh. It wasn't bad prep or moisture, it was lousy paint. Hilary

Reply to
hilary

Hi, To adegree, I am running a small business too. But I have a reputation and customer loyalty to look out. Any how my customers concern is not the cost, the quality and good experienced information. How about, cheap people buy cheap?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As I said, "That doesn't mean everything at WalMart is a quality product - far from it"

I bought 2 gallons of ColorPlace exterior satin off-white latex 4 years ago at WalMart and did my wrap-around porch railings and posts. One coat did the job; still looks great. I understand that recently the manufacturer of the ColorPlace line was changed. So, if your experience is typical, the paint is no longer very good quality.

So, you've got to shop around and get up-to-date infomation from people who know the score. Paying $30 for a gallon of paint doesn't guarantee you're getting good paint; paying $15 for a gallon doesn't guarantee you're getting junk paint.

The old addage "you get what you pay for" is true more often than not, but not always.

Reply to
Ether Jones

According to :

It doesn't have to be "wet" to be wet.

There are quite a number of articles in Fine Homebuilding magazine about paint versus pressure washing. Many painters simply will NOT pressure wash wood siding at all, and others will wait weeks before painting.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to jeffc :

Here, BM-labelled paint is pretty much all the same stuff. BM also sells something called Para paint, which according to people who've used it is almost as good.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Paying $28 for a gallon of paint doesn't guarantee that you're getting good paint.

Paying $15 for a gallon of paint doesn't guarantee that you're getting junk paint.

You have know what you're buying.

How much do you think it costs the manufacturer to make a gallon of good quality latex paint? What percentage of the price you pay do you think is the actual cost of making the paint?

Reply to
Ether Jones

Your anger is misplaced Hilary.

I assume you used oil-based primer on the knots. 4 days is not long enough after power washing to be using oil-based primer.

Reply to
Ether Jones

How do you know that ColorPlace is made by SW? There's nothing anywhere on the label.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Anger??? What anger? Whatever. No, I did NOT use the oil-based knot sealer, I used the latex Bin stuff recommended by the Behr paint can. It said it drys in 2 hours and the primer can be applied in 24 hours. I waited 48. Also, since I only treated the knots with the Bin, why would the whole structure peel uniformly? Must be the paint. the wood was NOT wet.

I've used the EXACT same process I used on the shed on other exterior structures over the years, and have had many years of success with exterior paint, as long as it wasn't Behr's "best" latex.

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same procedure on the house, with both new and old siding. This time, however, I'm using the top rated (Consumer Reports) California paint, which is rated to be 10 years. I've got to say that it's the best paint I've ever used - goes on smooth, one coat coverage (over their oil primer for the new stuff), no drips, no splatters. The consistency compared to any Behr product I've ever used is exponentially better. I'll let you know how it lasts :) H

Reply to
hilary

I used to mix paint for a living and would attend training sessions given by a Sherwin Williams rep annually. A lot of paints are made by them. I suspect they like to keep their name off the label so that their reputation isn't tarnished by cheap paint outlets.

What I was told was that they would mix the additive ratio to specificatioins, and create a color mixing system for the chain. Sherwin Williams could sell all the bottom shelf paint they wanted without hurting their name as long as they were willing to give up the retail profits and only collect on the wholesale.

I know Wal-Mart paint used to be made by a subsidiary of Sherwin Williams called "United Coatings". In answering your question, I don't know that they still do anymore. A Google search yielded recent MSDS that specifically stated United Coatings no longer made Wal-Mart paint, so it appears I may have been wrong on that.

I'd be curious to know who is making their paint now. It may still be Sherwin Williams, I just can't find anything definitive on it.

Reply to
trbo20