Paint cracks and peels in bathroom

Hi!
I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi- gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and primer up there.
Many thanks in advance.
Rose

If there is no leak, I would try sanding, then some Kilz primer and then paint a small section to see if it holds.
I would first clean the surface, then sand it, then prime, then paint.