Paint and Wallpaper border

This may be kind of a goofy question, and for that I apologize in advance.
I'm planning to redecorate my kids' rooms, and for both rooms, I'll use a wall paper border about 36 inches from the floor, and paint with a different color below and above the borders.
I've been planning to paint the top color first, then mask the top color and paint the bottom color. When all is throughly dry several days later, I will install the border between the two colors.
However, I had another idea----install the border first, then mask it and paint the top and bottom colors above and below the border.
Is there a "preferred" way of doing this?
Thanks,
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rob Houston) wrote in

Paint first. You don't have to mask the area, just draw an level,straight line at the level where the center of the border will be (36" + 1/2 the width of the border unless the 36" you refferenced is the center of the border but you get my drift), paint both colors (you could even leave a small gap where the line is so as not to obscure it for later refference when hanging the border) and then install the border. The border will cover any 'mistakes' (and the small gap) you made where the 2 colors meet and you won't risk damaing the border with tape or paint.
Chris