Ozone Generators - Anyone with experience?

I'm considering using an ozone generator to rid rental units of odors from mold, cooking, whatever.

Has anyone here done this? Does it work? What unit did you buy? Would you recommend that or another?

My intention is to run the generator on a timer that will shut it off some hours before I expect to return. Thus, the fact that ozone isn't good for the lungs will not be a factor.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Consider the fact that ozone is an aggressive oxiding agent that can affect clored drapes, rugs and the like and plan accordingly. IIRC, Consumer Reports had an article on the matter some time ago that might be helpful, and of course Google and Wikipedia will be a good sources. Deposited cooking grease on walls ought to washed off since the ozone might just harden it into a stubborn mess, for example. Over all, sounds like you're headed in right drection. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've some experience with EBay units, claimed output 100 mg/hr and 400 mg/hr. These will not (at this output, anyway) work any great magic. For a place that is in decent condition to begin with, they will remove odors, but there will be some faint residual odor of the ozone use (probably of something oxidized, since ozone doesn't hang around for too long). Don't know about cigarette smoke, but they're OK with cooking odors. After using them, a fan in the window for a few minutes will complete the job.

If you can get at the actual thing, such as bleach the mold, steam- clean the carpet, or wash the drapes, you will have the best result. The ozone will take care of the residual stuff. I also have an electrostatic filter in my HVAC in line with a fiberglass, and for a couple of weeks after it is washed, it keeps the house smelling good with the little ozone it produces. I think ozone is a good preventive measure. It will not wash away a apartment dweller's slobbishness in one application.

Reply to
Nexus7

My take is that ozone generators are out of favor compare to an air filter. Why not use an air filter powered by a fan? Commonly available, they are proven performers compared to ozone generators.

Reply to
Lawrence

Hi, Too much O3 is harmful. Look at commercial grade neg. ion generator. Reall good ones cost quite a bit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Here is a link for you:

I have personally witnessed the ozone shock treatment here in Ontario Canada. It was performed on a local tavern when our laws changed to no smoking in order to rid the stench of nicotine. I was completely amazed at the results. The only 'smell' was that of the outdoors after a severe thunderstorm. U.V. ozone generators capable of increasing the levels of O3 to the required level are very very expensive and dangerous (respirator required) and I doubt that any consumer scale generator will give you the results you're looking for. For 3-400 dollars you can have this performed in about 5-6 hours by a pro.

Just my $0.02

Gary

Reply to
gerdman

Don't they just stick all the crud to the walls, furniture, and rugs?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Well, the air filter is the equivalent of "airing out" the place. The ozone is supposed to attack the mold and whatever where is sits on the surface and the floor and walls.

That's the theory. I was hoping that someone here had already taken the plunge.

Reply to
John Gilmer

The folks who make ozone generators claim just that: negative ions just "glue" the "bugs" and stuff in place rather than destroy them.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Well the one I am starting to focus on uses corona discharge rather than UV. Cost about $400. I figure I can use it on two rental properties (separated by some 50 miles) and still have it for home use and for the "next time."

Your report has encouraged me.

Reply to
John Gilmer

we have rented ozone generators to many people like yourself hoping to eliminate odors, mold, etc. you may wish to rent a generator locally and test it out before purchasing. And, of course, if you do purchase, you will find that a refrubished generator is much cheaper and as reliable.

paul snipped-for-privacy@fin-tek.com

John Gilmer Wrote:

Reply to
Paul77

Make sure:

- the ozone generator makes ozone in air, not in pure oxygen (this would increase the flammability of your unit, ala. Apollo 1).

- the humidity is raised in the unit prior to adding the ozone (its net potency and effectiveness will increase, as well as shortening its half life).

- ozone is heavier than air, so add a sacrificial box fan (or three) to the space to mix things up and distribute.

- add no more ozone than necessary. Ozone will attack padding in carpet, insulation on power cords, hoses (such as on dishwashers, and washing machines), and even insulation on hose wiring if applied indiscriminantly.

Corona-based generators will make the most, fastest, so that you can dose appropriately, and turn it off, without adding a lot of gas to the space. UV-based will take (much) longer, but help prevent you from overdosing (by inducing impatience, most likley).

Brand unimportant, just make sure that it has an air dryer, not an oxygen concentrator inside. And the air compressor / blower should draw from outside air, not inside the space. Components upstream of where ozone is made are in general intolerant of ozone being sucked back into the unit.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

The above is the company/model that has caught my eye. If you have some spare time can you take a look and offer some comments?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I heard that OZone can agravate problems with those who have breathing issues. Like Asthma.

Any truth in this?

tom @

Just Joshin

I would not be at all surprised.

Some restaurants use low power ozone generators in occupied areas but the small amount of ozone is quickly "neutralized" by the kitchen odors.

When a truly powerful ozone generator is use the general idea is to put it on a timer so that it turns off 1/2 to 1 hour beform anyone gets back home. If someone is sensitive, I suppose the time could be increased.

But I also understand that "killer" ozone levels kills the stuff that also makes asthma worse. I guess the best approach is to run the machine just after the amthma victim leaves the home for the day and give the O3 plenty of time to decay.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Looks OK up front.

Their "salespeak" has very little to do with real chemistry. In an air stream with humidity, NO2, N2O, and N2O5 are made and no salesman can stop it from happening.

3000 mg/hr might take a couple of hours to treat a reasonably sized home, depending on the contamination level. You'd need to develop a feel for how much a unit would require.

It appears to be "hardened" against reingestion of ozone, so the ozone unit could be locked inside while you go elsewhere. Still need mixing and distribution fans, however.

Take note of their cleaning instructions, especially if you do let it breathe humid air (like you and I are used to). The plates will accumulate something that devolves into "fuming nitric acid"... very bad stuff.

I forgot to mention, ozone is really good at attacking the kinds of adhesive used on shelf / drawer liners. No help with wallpaper adhesives, I'm afraid. ;>)

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Dear Just Joshin:

On Mar 5, 9:37 am, Just Joshin wrote: ...

Yes. It can cause swelling of the tissues that will further restrict breathing.

However ozone has a half-life in air, which is a function of how much there is to react with it, temperature, and humidity. Applying ozone to a space only makes the space off limits from some time, because ozone turns back into oxygen in time.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

There is a -huge- amount of hype with ozone generators. Bottom line - unless you have a severe problem there are less damaging ways to deal with odor and mold. If you have a severe problem, there are more effective ways (not necessarily less costly) to deal.

RicodJour

I would hope that "diffusion" who get it around a room. The furnace fan would take the O3 about the rest of the house if I place it near the intake.

Oh, boy!

For the next month or so (as long as the cold weather holds) the place will be near "bone dry" as I can get it. But I get your message to not use it when it's damp outside.

Darn!

Reply to
John Gilmer

You're going through the exact same discovery steps in your investigation of ozone generators that I did some while back. Ozone generators are touted as being all that and a bag of chips, but they have some pretty serious problems and substantial limitations. I've had excellent results dealing with the mold and odor issues by using using an ionizing air purifier and controlling the humidity with a dehumidifier.

RicodJour