Oxygen concentrator sound level

You're not my favorite either, but I have worked on these at a nursing home.

Maintenance for 16 yrs.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I need some help with an oxygen concentrator. I'm finding almost zero info on the machine. I've asked around at medical stores. They all seem paranoid and don't want to offer any advice at all. They claim they just send them back to the vendor for service. That ain't gonna happen.

I bought it at a garage sale with the intention of using it as an oxygen generator for a small oxy-propane torch. They claimed it worked. Date codes suggest that it's little used.

Invacare XPO100 Software version 3 PM due 9/2018

Was missing external filter. Internal filter is dirty, but not restrictive. Removing it didn't fix error.

Press to level 5 Press + and Battery Level to put into continuous mode. Runs about 30 seconds until error Error Code: 3 and 4 lights on. Pressing + and - gives no secondary error code. Manual says Abnormal Compressor Operation. It does seem to put out something, but it's not concentrated oxygen. Apparently, they take a while to "get up to speed."

It has a demand sensor, but I'm not about to suck on it. No idea what killed the previous owner. ;-) I thought continuous mode would eliminate the possibility that it requires demand.

Is this thing fixable? Would be nice if it's just operator error. I don't need any medical certifications, just oxygen that makes propane burn hotter.

Reply to
mike

They vary considerably in noise level both from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. I have used two in conjunction with my CPAP thing: the first was pretty noisy; the second - a Resperonics Everflo - is not, can't even hear it from 4-6 feet away.

Our bed's headboard abuts a bathroom wall. The machine is in a cabinet on that wall in the bathroom. I led the supply tube through the common wall to the CPAP machine. Naturally, the cabinet doors are open for heat dissapation when the machine is on.

BTW, the prices on these machines vary greatly. The one I now have can be purchased at prices as low as $600 but my insurance company leases it. The provider bills them $300/mo, they pay $100/mo. Yes, $100/mo. for a machine that can be purchased for $600. With a 3 year warranty. MediCare...The World's Greatest Opportunity to Get Rich.

Reply to
dadiOH

You can get the owners manual here

Yes, most medical places send them back for certified repair shops since they are dealing with a medical device. Potential liability if you FUp

It may require you to be breathing on a cannula even in continuous mode, but I don't know for sure. I did not read the manual. Many portable units give oxygen only when the patient is breathing in and stop when they exhale.

I have no idea how you intend to use this with a torch. Unlike a tank, there is no real pressure or regulation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You could put it in a box lined with acoustical tiles but you'd have to provide for air supply and heat dissapation with vents or fan.

You could set up posts and drape material around and over them, leaving gaps at top and bottom.

You could put it in another room and close the room to that room and the door to the room where you are.

Reply to
dadiOH

put a extension air line on the unit, put it in another room, where the noise wouldnt cause issues

Reply to
bob haller

You are still popular...on the internet and retro-channels. Google image your name once.

bob_villain

Sleep apnea has several causes but a preventable one is when people are so fat that their airways become obstructed and their lungs don't have room to breath.

Medicare should give these fatties a two year warning to either lose weight and eliminate the CPAP dependence or pay for the CPAP themselves.

Or maybe we should treat junk foods like cigarettes and tax the hell out of them.

Reply to
Terry

Ah, not really. They cut the payments 24% as of July 1 and will probably put some of the suppliers out of business. That $100 covers a machine that can cost up to $3000 for a good one, all the supplies, portable tanks, service, delivery, and a replacement at 2 AM if your stops working.

I know two people in the business and used to work part time for one of them. When the rates were higher, they made a decent living, but with present rates they are considering closing. When you bill that $100 you can also wait a long time to get paid too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Build a box around it padded with acoustic tiles.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Put the unit in the basement, drill a hole thru the floor, add a hose extension of some sort and you're done.

Reply to
anonymous

Then add a refrigeration unit to move out the heat so the compressor does not burn out. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, that was $100/month for the machine that can be purchased for $600+-. Yes, it was delivered; I have no tanks; there are no supplies save a filter that is not user serviceable and which they change annually. I suspect they are compensated by the manufacturer for any repairs since it has a 36 month manufacturer's warranty.

I strongly suspect they would be billing much more for a machine costing $3000 although I can't imagine one actually being worth that. As far as cutting payments goes, may we credit Obama's grand scheme - ObamaCare - for that? I know that it takes $150/month out of MY pocket.

I still say that being paid $100/month for a $600 machine is financial rape.

Reply to
dadiOH

They get the same amount no matter what is supplied. My wife has a $2000 concentrator, $1500 fill system, portable tanks 3000psi, $1500+ conserver system and the suppler bill $124 a month. He may make out on yours, but he gets the same on every other system. Not nearly as lucrative as you perceive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How much they get depends upon what the supplier and insurance company have agreed to. No idea what Medicare pays.

Reply to
dadiOH

Insurance companies don't spend foolishly. There is more involved that you are aware of. I worked part time for a home oxygen provider for a few years.

Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, that's really a problem. I put one in a walk in closet; not a really big closet, but still a walk in and it raised the temp a whole lot. So much that I was concerned about the unit overheating and causing other problems. As someone said, put it as far away as possible and add extra hose.

Reply to
Art Todesco

How can I pot this delicately...have you tried putting your wife in another room? 8^)

Reply to
bob_villain

The thought has crossed my mind. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I wonder how "pot" got in my head...too far to be a typo?

Reply to
bob_villain

I spoke to the owner of the company I used to work for. Even though that contract is for 3 years, even though there are no more payments after that time they are still obligated to service the equipment and give you supplies as long ass you are using it. So they get paid for

36 months, but the service is for the life of your use even it goes another 15 years.

Medicare payments have been reduced at least three times. Ten years ago he was billing more than double what he is billing today for the same number of patients. The only changes is that in that time expenses have gone up.

If you are interested in getting on the gravy train you can buy his business. He will sell rather than close so he is not charged with patient abandonment. He was offered $1million about 10 years ago and is hoping to get $50k now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski