Oxygen concentrator sound level

Page 2 of 3
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:58:01 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

You are still popular...on the internet and retro-channels. Google image your name once.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/alf_zps8xmaudgv.jpg
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:58:01 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

How can I pot this delicately...have you tried putting your wife in another room? 8^)

The thought has crossed my mind. ;-)
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:02:03 AM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I wonder how "pot" got in my head...too far to be a typo?
wrote: > I was hoping there was some sort of sound absorbing material that could be

You could put it in a box lined with acoustical tiles but you'd have to provide for air supply and heat dissapation with vents or fan.
You could set up posts and drape material around and over them, leaving gaps at top and bottom.
You could put it in another room and close the room to that room and the door to the room where you are.
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8:00:52 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

put a extension air line on the unit, put it in another room, where the noise wouldnt cause issues
On 7/22/2016 6:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

IMO, the Invacare units are not a quiet as some others, especially the 10 liter model. . None are as quiet as a refrigerator if that is what you are expecting.
Note also, that unit is capable of putting out 10 lpm. Most patients are on 2 lpm and rare cases to 4 lpm. If you actually need 10 liters you are in serious trouble.
Check with your supplier and see if they have other units that are less capacity, but quieter. I like AirSep or Devilbiss.
As for location, if you have a spare room where you can close the door it makes a big difference. It should be well ventilated though, at least in summer an open window.
If you are in an area of low humidity you should have a humidifier bottle too. You fill it with distilled water and the flow bubbles through it.
If you go out a lot with oxygen ask for a conserver unit and home fill system. A standard D tank is heavy and will last about 4 hours on 2lpm. With a conserver system you can get a smaller 3000psi tank that will last about 8 hours. Easier to handle in a carry case with a strap. They are expensive so many suppliers don't want to give them to you.
The only true quiet systems use liquid oxygen. They are rare these days as the tank has to be filled every 8 days or so, but they are dead quiet.
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 8:11:14 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ed is up to date, we occasionally would accept folks requiring more than 10lpm and would need 2 machines with a Y connection. Not good!

I had never seen one of these units before and was surprised at their noise.

I'm at 3 LPM.

Thanks for that info.

It's as far from the bedroom that the 50 foot hose allows.

Illinois is not known for low humidity in the summer.

I have one case but it's not the most convenient and will be ordering one from a different manufacturer when the retailer's inventory is replenished.

Progress is good, but there are times the good old days have appeal. :-)

They vary considerably in noise level both from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. I have used two in conjunction with my CPAP thing: the first was pretty noisy; the second - a Resperonics Everflo - is not, can't even hear it from 4-6 feet away.
Our bed's headboard abuts a bathroom wall. The machine is in a cabinet on that wall in the bathroom. I led the supply tube through the common wall to the CPAP machine. Naturally, the cabinet doors are open for heat dissapation when the machine is on.
BTW, the prices on these machines vary greatly. The one I now have can be purchased at prices as low as $600 but my insurance company leases it. The provider bills them $300/mo, they pay $100/mo. Yes, $100/mo. for a machine that can be purchased for $600. With a 3 year warranty. MediCare...The World's Greatest Opportunity to Get Rich.
On 07/23/2016 07:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Sleep apnea has several causes but a preventable one is when people are so fat that their airways become obstructed and their lungs don't have room to breath.
Medicare should give these fatties a two year warning to either lose weight and eliminate the CPAP dependence or pay for the CPAP themselves.
Or maybe we should treat junk foods like cigarettes and tax the hell out of them.
On 7/23/2016 7:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Ah, not really. They cut the payments 24% as of July 1 and will probably put some of the suppliers out of business. That $100 covers a machine that can cost up to $3000 for a good one, all the supplies, portable tanks, service, delivery, and a replacement at 2 AM if your stops working.
I know two people in the business and used to work part time for one of them. When the rates were higher, they made a decent living, but with present rates they are considering closing. When you bill that $100 you can also wait a long time to get paid too.

No, that was $100/month for the machine that can be purchased for $600+-. Yes, it was delivered; I have no tanks; there are no supplies save a filter that is not user serviceable and which they change annually. I suspect they are compensated by the manufacturer for any repairs since it has a 36 month manufacturer's warranty.
I strongly suspect they would be billing much more for a machine costing $3000 although I can't imagine one actually being worth that. As far as cutting payments goes, may we credit Obama's grand scheme - ObamaCare - for that? I know that it takes $150/month out of MY pocket.
I still say that being paid $100/month for a $600 machine is financial rape.
On 7/23/2016 3:47 PM, dadiOH wrote:

They get the same amount no matter what is supplied. My wife has a $2000 concentrator, $1500 fill system, portable tanks 3000psi, $1500+ conserver system and the suppler bill $124 a month. He may make out on yours, but he gets the same on every other system. Not nearly as lucrative as you perceive.

How much they get depends upon what the supplier and insurance company have agreed to. No idea what Medicare pays.
On 7/23/2016 6:03 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Insurance companies don't spend foolishly. There is more involved that you are aware of. I worked part time for a home oxygen provider for a few years.
https://www.healthindustrywashingtonwatch.com/2015/11/articles/other-health-policy-developments/other-cms-developments/cms-releases-2016-medicare-dmepos-fee-schedule-reflecting-steep-cuts-based-on-dmepos-competitive-bidding-rates/

I spoke to the owner of the company I used to work for. Even though that contract is for 3 years, even though there are no more payments after that time they are still obligated to service the equipment and give you supplies as long ass you are using it. So they get paid for 36 months, but the service is for the life of your use even it goes another 15 years.
Medicare payments have been reduced at least three times. Ten years ago he was billing more than double what he is billing today for the same number of patients. The only changes is that in that time expenses have gone up.
If you are interested in getting on the gravy train you can buy his business. He will sell rather than close so he is not charged with patient abandonment. He was offered $1million about 10 years ago and is hoping to get $50k now.

I hope he saved during the gravy days.
On 7/22/2016 6:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Build a box around it padded with acoustic tiles.
On 7/23/2016 2:16 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Put the unit in the basement, drill a hole thru the floor, add a hose extension of some sort and you're done.