Oxalic Acid

I am refinishing a canoe paddle and would like to use oxalic acid on the dark spots.
1. Can I still use the acid I have had for 25 years?
2. What proportion should I mix with water?
Many thanks.
Dwight Gibb
Does this paddle have some special significance in your life? Yes, you can use the oxalic acid you've had for 25 years. It'll work just fine. But don't thank me, as I don't know the proportion to which you should mix it down. Tom
tom wrote:

outside. It is amazing how many terrible canoe paddles are in use, and how much better a good one is. I am embarrassed to say that I have refinished it only one or two times.
To respond to others - I have used oxalic acid in the past to remove black areas. But perhaps some other products are better.
Thanks for the help.
I dont know about proportions, but I see no reason it should be bad if it was sealed for 25 years.
You might be able to google some info on the web.
I'm curious, is the paddle wood? Does this acid remove dark spots and why? I'd think bleach would do that too. Just a guess !!!
Mark
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:19:39 GMT, Dwight News

I have a jug of wood bleach in the garage and label cites oxalic acid only as ingredient. www.homesteadfinishing.com has search capability and has an article about bleaches that might be helpful.
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:37:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Oxalic Acid IS wood bleach.

Dwight News wrote:

What will dissolve--usual crystals takes somewhere on the order of 10-12 oz/gal hot water...

dissolve as many crystals as you can (stirring until your arms are sore helps). As the water cools, you'll get a bit of precipitate...no big deal.