Oven-Off for cleaning fireplace doors

I happened to see a spray can of oven on the kitchen counter today as I wal ked past on my way to the rec room where our fireplace is located. Instead of the stuff I usually use to clean the glass fireplace doors, I thought t hat if it cleaned dirty ovens, it might work on the fireplace doors.
I tried it on room temperature doors, the crud on the glass and metal door frames just ran off into the workshop sink where it easily washed down the drain. A light once-over with a coarse sponge and the doors look like new. Wish I had known about this years ago.
On 2/22/2016 11:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I've been using oven cleaner on you wood stove glass door window for a long time. It works great!
--
Maggie

On 2/22/2016 11:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

What's wrong with cleaning the glass with the ashes in the fireplace? Works great and doesn't cost anything.
I have not heard of using fireplace ashes for cleaning. I would worry about scratching the glass if I used ashed.
On 2/22/2016 6:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I've been doing it for 4 years and my glass doesn't have any scratches on it.
On 2/22/2016 7:01 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Wood ashes are caustic, just like oven cleaner so I guess they would work. You could scratch the glass if there was something like sandy grit in them. I assume you wet them down before using.
On 2/22/2016 6:33 PM, Frank wrote:

Exactly!
Wet a paper towel, lightly dab in in the fine ash (ours are finer than flour) and scrub the hell out of the glass. When the towel is covered and the glass has a powdery haze, grab another sheet, dampen it and clean off the haze.
Our woodstove's glass door is ~ 14" diagonal and still in perfect shape after about 31 years of cleaning in this fashion.
On 2/22/2016 6:33 PM, Frank wrote:

I do. I actually use a damp paper towel and dip that in the ashes. I think it works really well.
On 2/22/2016 7:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

You can make soap from hardwood ashes. Mix with water and animal fat.
On 2/22/2016 12:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I had similar experience with a carburetor from a lawn mower. In the case of the cheap metal carb, I'd suggest about ten seconds between spray of oven cleaner and the warm water rinse. Oven cleaner spray eats some metals.
Thank you for sharing. Success is usually good.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/22/2016 12:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

> kitchen counter today
I've also used a spray can of oven to clean my stainless kitchen sink. Nylon scrubby, and use the sprayer to rinse. Works nicely. Also cleans congealed cooking oil off my spaghetti strainer.
Someone should send this list to helpful hints from Heloise. Or Ann Landers.
A quick spray of oven comes out toaster oven, not full size.
--
.
Christopher A. Young