outside faucets

My sister in law has a new home and when I tried her outside faucets, they (both of them) made a whining type noise (not banging). It seemed a higher pitch and louder than what I'm use to hearing. In my house, I might hear a little of this type sound (I think lower pitch and not as loud) when I first turn on the faucet but then I just hear the water running thru the pipes.
What is causing my sister in law's plumbing to make this sound? Is it due to lack of venting or a washer inside the faucet? Thanks.
// doug // website: MyHomeRebate.com "Buy New Homes for Less in Texas"
<doug> wrote in message

Most likely the washer. It probably changes pitch as you turn it off and on. As long as they are not leaking, no reason to replace the washer unless the noise drives you crazy.
Supply lines are not vented, drain lines are. Supply lines can have anti-hammer legs though.
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:24 -0500, doug wrote:

I have these (on outside faucets) and they make a hell of a racket. Could not sell a house without them...inspection thingy. I hate the noise and the pitch of it. ( back flow preventer )
http://www.starnursery.com/show_details.php?root=4&sub1I&sub2 "3&product70
Oren
doug wrote:

Doug, Do you mean rather "sill cocks"? DAGS on that, assuming that you've searched on other strings previously.
Then, what type of sill cock? Frost-proof? Help us out, here.
in buffalo ny: our 3 year old anti-frost outdoor hose cock is quiet but slows the water flow. our city water is 42psi. 20 year old ones also quiet. perhaps you have a higher water pressure, loose washer, or other part. perhaps the piping and valves vary from your house to hers, maybe check with the next door neighbor if similar age and type of plumbing. however if this is a well system or a high pressure city supply system there are additional system items to check. go near the water arrival point to the home and try the basement washtub faucets for similar noise. have your helper try the outside hose and see if there is hopefully just simply pipe vibration noise against a hanger bracket.
doug wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:24 -0500, doug wrote:

Thanks all for the help. I think its safe to say it's a washer and tho it doesn't sound great, nothing to really be concerned about.
// doug // website: MyHomeRebate.com "Buy New Homes for Less in Texas"
New outside faucets also have anti drain siphon mechanism that often whistles. Idea is to protect water supply from chemicals used outside.