Outdoor water spicket repair

Amanda Sisco ------------------------------------- There is a broken water spicket on our front porch. it is spitting water out of and behind the siding, so we had to shut all of our water off. We don't have the money to hire a plumber to tear up our siding to fix it, and then hire another person to replace the siding. Suggestions, anybody?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 323800 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On Nov 15, 1:23�pm, amandasisco_at_rocketmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.co (sisco101) wrote:

first isolate the bad faucet from the rest of your home, can you find a valve to shut off just this faucet?
sisco101 wrote:

Pay them some now or pay them (and others) more later.
Meanwhile, get to the pipe leading to the spigot (there's no such thing as a "spicket") by whatever means is necessary and cap the pipe by whatever is appropriate (that depends on whether it's galvanized, copper, plastic, ...)
If you don't have a clue how to do that and there's not a cutoff to isolate the leak, you have really no choice but to call the plumber.

Sure I remember the term "spicket" used in the early-mid 1950s..
cite:
spicket [ spkit ] (plural spickets)
noun Definition: regional Same as spigot
[15th century. Alteration of spigot]
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561508076/spicket.html
Well, make the post back then, and see if anyone answers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Oren wrote:

Live and learn!
Jeff (    who's glad he didn't jump om the OP like poor dpb did. <G>)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I should have known, Yankeebonics or Yankbonics. It's almost as bad as Hillbonics spoken by the folks in NE Alabama.
TDD
Ask your friends and neighbors who does plumbing repair, inexpensively.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you are in a warm are stop right here and follow the previous suggestions. If you are in a hard-freezing area the spigot is probably a self-draining, frost free sillcock and the washer amd possibly the seat are probably worn out. Before doing anything, look around the spigot handle and there should be an identification badge telling you who the manufacturer is. You can call a plumbing supply store and see if they have a washer and a stem (containing the stem end of the valve). Replacing these *might* do the trick . But, done properly you should have a seat lapping tool to get to the bottom of the valve and grind the seat a bit. It sounds like you might be in over your head. Don't you have a buddy who is handy and can help you? Best of luck! Chuck

I don't see how worn parts on a freeze proof sill cock can cause water to be spewing from behind the siding. With that device, I've only seen that occur if the sill cock has frozen and split inside the wall or suffered a similar failure.
Without knowing exactly what kind of device you have, whether the leak is in the sillcock or pipe, etc, it's impossible to give much guidance. The advice to look for a possible shut off valve for that line inside the house is a good place to start.

The consensus seems to be that the repairs are difficult on frost-frees and short lived and just not worth doing in this thread. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t 816
Here's a DIY video on replacing it. http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id5720531
sisco101 wrote:

Trade your computer to a plumber or handyman for the repair.
TDD
On Nov 15, 12:23pm, amandasisco_at_rocketmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.co (sisco101) wrote:

There should be a shutoff valve and often drain in the basement for the outside valve, if not you need one before fixing whats outside. My outside stuff is now off, drained, and outside valve open incase of a leak on the inside valve. But I am where dirt freezes 3 ft down.

Not if it's a correctly installed freeze proof sillcock.
My