outdoor copper gas line

Page 1 of 2
I have a somewhat new copper gas line that was ran to feed a bbq on my back patio. The gas line is burried underground, albeit, fairly shallow. There are portions of the pipe exposed (where it is attached to the wall when it comes into my patio. It was added after the patio, so it couldn't run underneath.
Was copper the correct pipe to be used? Should I be worried about it's life? I know my house had copper water pipes, of which the main feed was exposed to the sun and burried in the ground uncoated. It lasted 20 yrs with acidifc FL water. Would a copper pipe, which only has exposure externally to ground water, last "forever"? My water pipes only went bad because of internal corrosion caused by city water, not rainw ater.
In any event, should the exposed portions be coated/painted with anything to help protect them? What should be used?

When any pipe other than plastic delivery pipe is buried, it is to be covered and protected. It should also be buried the min depth according to your local codes. Personally, even on something as simple as that, it would ahve been SST or black pipe, even if it was only 3/.8th.
Not black pipe ; galvanized pipe .
<< Not black pipe ; galvanized pipe >>
Our building codes like many others do not allow galvanized pipe for gas. Pays to check first. HTH
Joe

This is Turtle.
You just corrected a resident Troll here on alt.home.repair and alt.hvac . He does not have the slightest ideal of what pipe to use in any application.
TURTLE
Shit! Even I know that code calls for black pipe--
WHY IS DAVE JUST SO FRIGGIN STUPID?

Where I am galvanized is acceptable. My understanding it that is pretty commonly allowed. In the past, the odorant reacted badly with zinc, so code required black iron. People used galvanized anyhow, so the utilities had to change the odourant to avoid problems. Maybe your code hasn't kept up with it, or maybe your utility is still using the old odorant.

This is Turtle.
Then you say you would make the over all statement of Galv. pipe is good for natural gas in the U.S.A. and then accept the responciabilty of someone getting killed by using Galv. pipe in the natural gas line if the gas reacts badly with the pipe ? Some people listen here and think everything said here is the Norm. I'm not saying your bad in any way here but just watch , because they have some here that are not brain surgens and listen too well.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
One word ------------------------ TROLL.
TURTLE

Wrong again, fool..........
--

SVL

better? I have had black iron rust on, and I expect galvanized wouldn't have.

Last time I piped natural gas was quite a while ago, galvanized wasnt allowed in our area.
Maybe it is some places, I dunno--but "assuming" something meets code is where the problem generally comes in.....
IMO, better to check with the permitting authority or gas company than to listen to Davey, you, or even me for that matter.
--

SVL

The way it was explained to me was that the old galvanized pipe was hot dipped and in the normal flexing small flecks would come loose and wreak havoc with gas regulators and such. This is no longer a problem however as the newer style is electro galvanized and does not fleck off.
--

Roger Shoaf

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (HVAC IsFun) wrote in message

I've seen both black and galvanized used. There is no question that black pipe, used properly is absolutely ok. As I understand it, there is an issue with using either galvanized or copper. Natural gas has a chemical added to it so that it will smell and can be detected. That chemical reacts with copper or zinc, causing corrosion. In the case of copper, the pipe fails. In the case of zinc, I believe it results in flaking, which can cause jets to clog.
Why anyone would choose a chemical that could cause problems like that is another story
In our area, Philadelphia Gas Works says schedule 40 black iron pipe and fittings only - NO galvanized - NO copper allowed.
Something about the copper reacting badly with gas.
Joe

Around here they don't. Galvanized and K copper are both acceptable.

This is Turtle.
Here in my area they don't care about what you use out here in no where. i know a fellow that has PVC in parts of his natural gas lines in his house. If the Gas company can't see the PVC they can't do anything about it. He's dumb but he does what he wants.
TURTLE
Why anyone would choose a chemical that could cause problems like that is another story Around here they don't. Galvanized and K copper are both acceptable. '
ME: Same around here. Galvanized is acceptable .
Turtle and the others who enjoy trying to discredit me , do so because they dont like me telling them to treat HO's with respect (as well as themselves) over in alt.hvac . Ergo , im a 'troll' . Its a travesty that these people deal with the public daily. And..Ken is my favorite Stalker -- a retired Chemist who has a level 2 sexual addiction/anger problem/no hobbies/loves the booze and who doesnt like to be told that verbal decency is a virtue. Thus...its one big happy family !

The HVAC people discredit you because you don't have a clue of what really happens in the field.
If you notice, I never treat HO's poorly. The people I show disrespect to are the people that have no clue what they are talking about, like YOU!
found in a firewalled webtv group several months ago..
snip<<<From: ?? snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net Group: ?? alt.discuss.clubs.public.christian.gays Subject: ??im looking for a friend Date: ?? Mon, Jan 26, 2004, 6:13pm (PST+2) Organization: ?? WebTV Subscriber im a single male no children but did lose one to God many years ago im a christian but have recently found myself fighting with homesexual demons in my mind i am around children often and worry about my feelings for them too id like someone other than my minister to discuss this situation with dave>>>/snip
stay tuned for the perv's usual lame denials