OT: WTF is "shredder lube?"

So I bought my first paper shredder. The instructions say:

"Shredder lubricants are recommended for your shredder and will lengthen the lifespan of your machine. Apply lubricants after 30 minutes of shredding or a minimum of twice per month to eliminate build-up on your shredder's cutting heads and allow your machine to run at maximum performance.

"For best results with your Staples brand shredder, use Staples brand shredder lubricant sheets."

Anybody use lubricant sheets in their shredder? I'm thinking a Staples brand buttered waffle would work.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I thought you were joking until I did a search. I have a cheap shredder and never bothered with any lube. The only problem I've had so far was a sticky switch. It's just for personal use so it doesn't get much of a workout.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

lengthen

I have a modest 6 sheet cross cut shredder and use it a *lot*. I shred everything. I've had it for oh, 6,7 years. Never seen any shredder lube and it cuts flawlessly after all that use.

Reply to
DT

I've killed two through lack of lubing and heavy use. I bought the lube after researching the topic and finding out just how many recommendations there are out there to prolong the life of the shredder by regularly lubing it. As mentioned by another poster, a plain vegetable oil will do, you don't necessarily have to buy the lube pads or the special bottle 'o lube. Then again, it's only a couple bucks. I decided it was easier to have a dedicated bottle/applicator parked next to the shredder than to have to rummage through my cupboards hunting for the 3in1 oil, or grabbing the Wesson and hunting for a small squeeze tube or brush to apply it with.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I've got a ativa (personal use) shreader and I buy the Office lubricant sheets. They come in a 14 pack. I just run one sheet thru the shredder about once every few months as though it was a piece of junk mail. The instructions say to run it thru normally and then run teh shredder in reverse for 10 seconds. I don't know if it does any good, but it works for me as I've had this shredder for 3 years without any problems. There's no oily mess to deal with as the oil is released as the sheet is shredded.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

I put about a two inch blob of it in the middle of a sheet of scrap paper, fold it and run it through. Helps keep anything that has gummy adhesive from fouling the cutters.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I came by a large economy size can of electric clipper oil....works fine in mine

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE