[OT] WTF is it w/ gray text!??

I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.
So.... WTF! is it with gray text?
I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these old geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.
What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by that bad ol' "black on white" text?
I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white. Or blue-on-black. Still.....
Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!! ;)
nb

Sounds like they are in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act. Sue their asses off.

I like it! ;)
nb
On 8/9/2015 9:43 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

I guess then they'll have to sit on their knees for the rest of their lives.
--
Maggie

Lousy choice of color by the web designer. Your example of blue on black is even worse. You might be able to override that in your browser settings. I have found that if you mark the text like you were going to copy it (drag a left click over it) the color will change.

Since I have no hair, no, I haven't considered it. ;)
nb
[snip]

This reminds me of the Commodore 64 I got in 1984. The default color was light blue text on medium blue, with poor contrast.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

The old IBM PROFS system (Email before it had a name) defaulted to blue on black. I changed it to yellow on light blue so I could actually read it. That is still my color when I am using real DOS (set up with ANSI.SYS) I found that for me that was the least visually stressful combo when I was going to be on the computer all day. I have adapted to this paper white background but I still think yellow on light blue is easier on the eyes.
[snip]

I prefer a light color (not white) on black. That could be like the old green monochrome monitors (which I liked better than amber).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I find that this web site's color scheme (slighty subdued white on fairly neutral dark grey) is pretty easy on my eyes.
<http://daringfireball.net/2015/08/most_important_device
On 8/9/2015 10:34 AM, notbob wrote:

Hold ctrl + a at the time and highlight the entire page.
| So.... WTF! is it with gray text? | | I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt.
Any links? I haven't noticed that problem.
Though I have seen increasing problems with dysfunctionality and layout. For instance, if I go to washingtonpost.com it looks fine, but then when I click on a story I get text so big that I often copy/paste it into Notepad for reading.
I also see increasing problems with images and links. From what I can tell it seems to be a problem originating with sites trying to accomodate different screens. For instance, they might have 3 different sizes of images and try to assign them according to the device visiting -- phone, tablet, or desktop. But I end up with either no picture or a wrong size. Example: http://www.npr.org/sections/news/ loads with small images that are blown up.
On 08/09/2015 11:20 AM, Mayayana wrote:
[snip]

I must have gotten the larger one (on my laptop). Detail is good (especially the face in the larger picture).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

You don't give any examples but I think I know what you mean. My vision is fine but I can't read those sites either. Also the ones with yellow iirc background, One site had dark blue on light blue. They're idiots, to go to the trouble to make a webpage and then make it almost illegible.
Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and it's more readable, but not always.

Thnx for that tip, mickey.
I did it on Wikipedia and the reverse was wht-on-drkgry. ??
I've never messed with my browser's default display settings cuz it never bothered me. Guess it's time to get with it, by cracky! ;)
nb
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 09 Aug 2015 15:47:32 -0700, Oren

I think they fixed it.

What's the option called? I don't remembe seeing it. I have Firefox, latest version.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 09 Aug 2015 17:08:11 -0700, Oren

Thanks. It seems FF has an incredble number of preferences.