(OT) Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

Page 1 of 2
I took the liberty to add the (OT) for this off topic thread.
I am only posting a reply because I am wondering why the thread is about *WINDOWS 10* ???
Unless I missed something, Windows 8 is the current version.
That means Windows'9' will be next!!!!
(Unless Microsoft decides to call it Vista2, Windows2015, or Millenium+15 edition, or Windows for Offworkgroups....)
Of course if it's released this year, why not just called it "Windows Deflated", or "Windows Balls"..... (In honor of the Superbowl crap) :)
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

All the news sites have been reporting that 9 will be skipped and the next version will be 10.
Low Pressure Windows?
--
Dan Espen

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4:04:25 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Better tell that to MSFT. They announced Win 10 will be released in the fall. I guess Win 9 will have one hell of a short cycle.....
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:47:01 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Weird!!!! I have a feeling it has something to do with Windows 95 and 98 being referred to as "Windows 9". Just a guess....
On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4:16:26 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

It was the negative aspect of saying "Windows Nein"...
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

They are just trying to put a lot of distance between 8. It confuses my life -- a lot of the sofware I use is at the 10 major version so if someone says "Will that work with 10.1?" I've got to ask "10.1 what?"

I dont know why they didn't just stick with using the release year for a name.
Windows 95, 98, 2000, etc.... The next release would then be Windows 2015 (if it is relased this year) and Windows 8 was released in (I think) 2013.
Being consistent avoids confusing people.......
--
Anyone running Windows 98 is using the LATEST version if you go by the
number. 98 is bigger than '8' Of course that could get touchy whether
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

They do for some of the products just to confuse the issue. Server 2003 is XP generation, Server 2012 is 8, and Server 2012 R2 is 8.1. The preview release still refer to Windows Server 10 but it might turn into 2015 on release. Or not.
alt.home.repair:

Windows ME was the last in the line of OSs that began with DOS and included Windows 95 and 98.
Parallel to the DOS-based Windows was the "NT" product line. It was descended from Microsoft-IBM's joint OS/2 product. The first released version was NT 3.1, then Windows 2000, then Windows XP, and so on.
The end of the DOS-based OSs overlapped the beginning of the NT-based OSs. The naming conventions are pretty arbitrary and have little to do with the order they were released.
On 01/26/2015 12:24 PM, Nil wrote:

Thanks for getting that right. I didn't want to hear any more claims about Win ME not using DOS.

There is an internal version number, which starting with 95 seems to have nothing to do with what that version is called. 95 98 and ME are version 4. 2000 and XP are version 5. Later Windows (even Windows 10 preview) are version 6.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I actually thought Windows ME was released in 1999, but I looked it up. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/02/from-windows-1-to-wind ows-10-29-years-of-windows-evolution
It was released in 2000, as well as Windows 2000.
I suppose this is what caused problems using the year as the release name. Even though Win ME could have been called Windows 99 and no one would have complained, since it was developed in 99. Windows ME and Windows 2000 was where MS sort of forked or branched off in two directions. Win2000 was supposed to be more for businesses while WinME was for home.
Just my opinion, but it would seem that MS released both of them in 2000, just to make more sales, because WinME was a poor attempt at upgrading Win98SE, and Win2000 was based on NT and was their "new direction". But WinME contained both the code from Win98se and some NT as well. MS could (and should) have spent a little more time developing their new OS and just released one STABLE version. Because WinME was unstable, while Win2000 was fairly stable, but lacked the tie to Win98.
As it says in that webline (above), WinME was Microsofts biggest failure (at that time), but later Vista was even worse. It almost seems like every other version of Windows has been dud ever since after Windows 98..... I guess they're too fast on the trigger to make another release and thus more sales....
On 01/26/2015 02:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:
[snip]

It was a poor attempt, IIRC the only improvement I remember is that is included the USB storage driver. The help system was worse.

IIRC, I changed to 2000 because it worked better on faster computers.

ME was unstable, like the previous versions. It required a lot of rebooting. 2000 was better that way.

I never used Vista much. I do remember it was more annoying when I tried.

I dislike the way that on 8 and later they try to make you use a "Microsoft account", hiding the fact that you don't have to.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 1/27/2015 12:44 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

They are pests on Win 8.
You have to go back to their ap store to get back games like solitaire and while free they have pop-ups and then send messages that for maybe $1 you can rid yourself for them.
MS Office when you prepare a new doc and want to save it the first option is their cloud where they try to hook you into paying.
Wish they would take note and not bring this crap into 10 but I bet they will.
Win9x was known as platform 1. NT is platform 2. So Win98 was v. 4.1, platform 1. WinME was v. 4.9, platform 1. NT 4 was v. 4, platform 2. Win2000 was v. 5.0, platform 2.
WinME was a flop, which was actually convenient when MS tried to push people to XP. WinME was almost new when XP came out, so it didn't make much sense to say it was obsolete. What MS did instead was to pretend ME never existed (as they've done with Vista) and then talked about upgrading the "obsolete" Win98 to XP.

Seems MS is good at trying to trick people, just by using different names. I found an article written by MS. The reason they are calling the next version Windows 10, is "to put some distance between Windows 8". THe reason is because the original release of Windows 8 was a flop too, but their 8.1 sort of fixed some of that.
But so what????? So we skipped a number...... Who cares, it's still the same product (the next release after Windows 8.x).
That makes about as much sense as calling "John Doe" who is the homeless town drunk. But if you call him "Mr. Doe", he suddenly becomes the town's wealthy Police Chief.
On 01/26/2015 03:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Me thinks that Windows Nein sounded too much like "Windows NO" in German.
M$ has the best marketing weasels the world has ever known. They would never let such a thing pass :-)
On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 5:46:00 PM UTC-6, Todd wrote:

Sorry if you didn't understand..."no" is a negative. I was attempting a "funny"...
On 01/26/2015 04:50 PM, bob_villa wrote:

We were both trying to be funny. Not all jokes always work so well. I had to get use to having to explain my jokes years ago
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

Sense never comes into it. Product naming is always done by sales. Names are chosen for many reasons, including emotional impact.
In the computer business, this is especially true. I've seen the exact same piece of software go though so many names that I'd need a chart to keep track.
I'm sure the technical people would just like ascending consecutive version numbers. Probably fortunately, the sales people control picking names.
--
Dan Espen

| Seems MS is good at trying to trick people, just by using different | names. I found an article written by MS. The reason they are calling | the next version Windows 10, is "to put some distance between Windows | 8". THe reason is because the original release of Windows 8 was a flop | too, but their 8.1 sort of fixed some of that. | | But so what????? So we skipped a number...... Who cares, it's still the | same product (the next release after Windows 8.x). |
I think they also skipped at least one number in the IE versioning, in order to match the Netscape versions at the time. But... it's their product. And version numbers don't represent anything in particular. Sometimes a new version is a big change. Sometimes companies just push out a new version because they're trying to make money. Some software takes years to get to v. 1, while Mozilla turns out a whole version number increase about every six weeks, makin their version numbers all but meaningless.
I found it more confusing that they named the Metro system Windows RT. That was the limited Metro-only system on most tablets. But Metro didn't even have windows, the namesake of the OS! Only one, fullscreen program could be run at a time. And Windows software won't run on RT. A lot of people were surprised to get their "Windows RT" tablet home and try using it.
I wouldn't be surprised if MS even phases out the Windows name. Based on the rumors going around and what they've said, it sounds like MS is hoping to start an entirely new chapter in their business -- devices with services rather than OS software.
I'm especially curious how that will play out with their corporate customers. I read last week that Citigroup estimates non-corporate Windows sales are only about 2% of the total. Their real customer is business. Asking business to switch over to hosted services, with no control over how the system works or where company records are stored, and perhaps with all previous Windows software phased out, is a big thing to ask.