OT: What's Wrong With This Picture?

Page 1 of 3
I thought it rather strange that the troop surge to Afghanistan would take about a year to complete, but, then, I've never been in the military and they do have a lot of stuff to pack up and move.
Now, just heard on the news that the Chief of the CIA unit in Afghanistan was one of those killed by a suicide bomber. In the fitness center. On a military base. In remotest part of Afghanistan. WTF is the US of A coming to?
I have an idea for capturing Osama....enlist a few of the worst of the worst gang leaders in any major prison in ...oh, California, Texas, Illinois. Offer them a bunch of money and amnesty, train them, drop them into Afghanistan. They get their reward when they capture Osama alive. Then give Osama a life sentence requiring he attend Christian services every Sunday and pipe Christian hymns into his cell 24/7. Treat him as Jesus would ;o)

As I understand it, the base was a combined military and civilian base enganged in reconstructing part of Afghanistan, winning over locals, etc. It hosted the CIA, which is why the CIA chief was there. So, before jumping to conclusions, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. If you were with the CIA and they give you a gym to keep fit, I don't see a discrepancy with the overall objective.

I'm sure they'll do real well by blending in inconspicuously with the locals and aeasily chieve the objective. How do you say "Where's Osama?" in the Pashto dialect? Maybe they could just take his picture on a card and point to it.

You expect that too? Why, so Obama can bring him to NYC for a trial? A $50mil reward hasn't produced him dead, or alive or even lead to information leading to his apprehension, which is all one would have to do to claim the reward.

That's *another* thing I don't get: why so LITTLE?
Right after GWB announced that reward, I sent him a letter asking why the reward wasn't at least a billion dollars. I pointed out that given the population of the U.S. at the time, $1B worked out to only about three dollars and fifty cents per citizen -- and most of it could be raised through donations. I think that if he'd requested contributions to a reward fund on Sept. 12, by the end of the month it would have topped a billion easily, and we would have had Osama's ass, gift-wrapped, by Christmas. SOMEbody would have ratted him out for that kind of money.

I would've contributed 10 bucks if the guvmint promised than OBL would be dropped off the Empire State Building in flames. But you know what? It wouldn't matter. Independently owned al Qaeda franchises are popping up like Starbucks, and this will continue regardless of bin Laden.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

find the worst punishment.

The only meaning of death we need to cater to is OURS, not his.
How about a season of guest appearances on Sally Jessy Raphael?
"Oh, my. You poor dear big tough terrorist. How that must have made you feel!"
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Miller wrote:

The US probably publicized the offer on the internet in English :o)
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:27:45 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

How much is a Billion in Afghani currency? Must be a bunch. Can the comprehend it :)
On Dec 31, 5:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I had an entirely different thought at the time and still do. I wonder if offering 5000 cattle, sheep, whatever would have more of an impact. I'm not sure that the tribesmen living in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan even can comprehend what $50mil is. And I seriously doubt if $50mil won't motivate someone to make a phone call, that any amount of cash will work. I think in reality it has more to do with people not trusting that they will ever be paid off even if they do give him up. In that regard, establishing some intermediary that determines if the money is paid, with it held in escrow, might be beneficial. But again, not sure anyone would trust that it would be paid.

Do they get a double bonus if they bring him in sewn up inside a pig carcass? I'd kick in a twenty for that.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

transport him.
That would culturally insensetive. Somhow, to them, blowing down buildings full of office workers is AOK, but eating a pork chop is not.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Musta been her sister. I have the REAL one at my house. Funny, I always thought she'd be good looking.
Steve
The Easter Bunny's sister used to live under my trailer. Her ugly sister, Gopher.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

planning and carrying out (does anyone know how many?). So, we still have over a billion Muslims who aren't killing anyone. Well, no more than "Christians" are killing.
It has been a relatively few years since Mormon's dropped their belief that blacks are not human. Or not as human as others. Proof there is hope for all. They are still undecided about women.
I suggest you call some of the Mormons near you, and ask about those beliefs you mentioned. You might be surprised to find out that there are some small errors in what you just wrote.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus