OT Toyota

Page 1 of 4

OT Toyota
If it's not the carpet that's causing Toyatas to speed up, then how can replacing the gas pedal help?
How many of you are still driving your Toyota?
Would you have thought to put the car in neutral if it's speeding up?

How would I know? My foot is always in the carburetor, so to speak, anyway.
I've got a 2009 Matrix. The first week I had the thing I replaced the floor mats with some big rubber ones that can handle a lot of melting snow from my shoes. Then later on I heard they were having problems but thought I had that solved already. Now I guess that must not have been the problem.
I Haven't had a problem yet but if I do I figure I would try to get it out of gear and turn the engine off as soon as possible. If I'm already going at a good clip I am not sure how it would handle if I just turn off the ignition. Are newer cars set up to handle like older cars that had no power steering if the engine is dead and you lose your power steering?
Until I get more information, I'm saying take it out of gear and don't turn the engine off until you have slowed down quite a bit.
David

It would have to work with no engine because there are still power steering belts that break, and because there are engines that stall.
I drove my 88 LeBaron without power steering for what must have been 4 to 8 thousand miles. It was only a problem parallel parking or getting out of a tight spot.
But the power brakes are only required to have 3 or maybe 4 full pushes in them if the engine is not running, and I doubt any car has more than that.

Sounds right.

mm wrote:

fly-by-wire car? Sure, you can move the lever, but will it actually do anything?
Nobody knows for sure how they will react till they are in a situation like that. Sitting here right now, I can say I would calmly run through all the steps (including pumping the brakes), and if none of them worked, look for a guardrail to ease into to scrub off speed. Yeah, I'll trash the car to avoid a head-on, or t-boning somebody at an intersection. But the only time I had a runaway, it turned out to be just a sticking aftermarket cruise control, and turning it off solved the problem. (noticed the sound was funny when I passed a car, looked down, and saw I was doing 85...) But if it happens again, in a strange car, and not on a mostly-empty interstate late at night like the time before, who knows? My brain might blue-screen too.
-- aem, who doesn't drive much or very far any more, sends....

ON one news show they said that Toyota said to apply the brake first. Maybe that's related.
In a newspaper article, regarding, one would think their source was toyota, but they said nothing about applying the brake first.

I know my question won't yeild accurate answers, but I wanted to aks anyway.
I've had one time where I panicked and once when I was really cool, but I forget both of them now. No one got hurt either time.
I've never had a runaway engine but I've had my brakes fail 7 times iirc, all of those before there were separate front and rear brakes.
The first time was the worst. I was 17, in my mothers car on my way to a date in the evening on the wide but quiet Meridian St. around 30th St. in Indianapolis. The car 200 feet in front of me stopped to wait for a car to pass, to turn right. I applied the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. I pumped and got a bit more braking. I hit the car at about 15 or 20 miles an hour, maybe more. I think the 58 Ford had aftermarket seatbelts my mother had had put in. After I had tried to apply the brakes and knew I had a problem, I had had maybe 2 seconds or 4 and during that time I hadn't thought to use the handbrake that was under the dash to the far left. But after I hit I wanted to back up, and the car was at an angle so I was going into the lane to the right of me. And then I quickly reached for the handbrake but opened the hood instead!
But I had barely applied any gas and it only went about 15 feet back before stopping.
So I didnt' mess up entirely, but I didn't do very well either. (The brake line just in front of the left rear wheel had sprung a leak. I wasn't hurt but both cars were hurt somewhat, not that much..
Twice the power brake vaccume valve stuck into the front of the booster failed (the spring and plastic piece popped out. STrangely, that was the first day after my brother went to Viet Name and lent me his 65 Pontiac, and the first day after I bought my own 67 pontiac years later. Quite a coincidence. No damage in either case.
Two other times the flexible brakeline to a front wheel failed. No damage in one cse and in another I knocked a fence part way down that was already part way down but not as much. It was leaning on bushes next to a business.
Master cylinder failed once, but no damage. One other time I forget.

My Toyota, I press a button on the lever and pull into low gear. All else fails I can always use an emergency brake.
aemeijers wrote:

They specifically say 'DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES'. Apply steady pressure. How about turning the fuckking key off stupid.
Van Chocstraw wrote: (snip)

Watch ypur mouth. Not everybody has antilock brakes. Absent antilock brakes, ones the tires start skidding, no point steering. And on modern fancy cars, not all of them have keys. Even on cars that do, if you accidentally turn the key all the way back (which would be the reflex most people have), the steering wheel locks.
-- aem sends...

correct. Nothing to do with ABS. The brake booster runs on manifold vacuum - and at full throttle there is NO manifold vacuum - you only have the vacuum trammed in the "reservoir" of the brake booster. That is good for 2, MABEE 3 applications of the brake before loosing ALL boost.
On 01/31/2010 01:14 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I don't think it locks the wheel until you REMOVE the key.

I believe you are correct. At least that's how the cars I've had worked.

neutral and ease the brakes. Simple.

Aftermarket cruise on 1980 Corolla (it could have been ANY other car - being aftermarket) stuck on my wife while going to her brother's home in Windsor from Kitchener with our 2 young girls with her. She was able to keep it under control with the brakes until she got to her brother's place, where she put it out of gear and shut it off. It dieselled something awfull, and filled the catalytic converter with fuel so it flashed white hot. The heat melted the floor-mats and console, filling the car with smoke. She called me in a panic on the phone asking what to do. I told her to turn the key back on, foot hard on the brake, put it in gear, and then shut off the key - call the fire department and point the garden hose anywhere she saw smoke.
When the fire department got there, it was dead and out. Insurance company totalled it and gave me a negotiated cash settlement - I fixed the car with used parts and drove it another 5? years - with the balance of the insurance payment in the "car fund".

I think it is more then that. I think a more likely scenario would be the sensor that translates pedal movement to a position signal that the computer can understand. The first thought that came to mind if that ever happened to me is to slam the breaks on in the hopes of stalling the engine.

What's the matter with the Toyota thread already going ???
mm wrote:

Some cars, Toyota probably, can't be shifted at speed.
Can you imagine what would happen if, while you're driving along Route 101 enjoying the scenery, your girlfriend squirmed around with an urgent need to put her face in your lap and in so doing hit the shift lever?

True story. A big lawsuit was being reported on a regular basis in the Hartford Courant. A couple left a bar, probably inebriated, in his Mercedes SL. Hit a tree, both were ejected, he was killed. She says he was driving, pay my medical bills. His family says she was driving, pay for our loss.
Her defense? Your honor, I could not have been driving. I was giving him a BJ at the time. At "the moment" he hit the gas.

if they were ejected,then they were not wearing their seatbelts. Probably against the law. Sorry,no payment;operating the vehicle in an illegal manner.
IOW,if you don't want to wear your belts,then you take responsibility for the consequences.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's between each of them and the government. But between a driver and a passenger, the question is who is negligent in a manner that caused the accident.
Failing to wear a seatbelt is negligence but it doesn't cause the accident.
And between a driver and passengers, it doesn't matter who is violating the law if that violation is not a cuase of the accident or its severity. That is, if the driver were going over the speed limit, the judgment against him would likely be more, but because going faster causes greater injuries, not because it's illegal.
In some states, comparative negligence may be calculated, if the passenger did something to help cause the accident.
In a few states contributory neglignece can prevent someone who was only slightly at fault from recovering from the other party, but that refers to negligence that caused the accident, not failing to wear a seatbelt that results only in greater injury.

A good maxim but in this case, only partly the law.
If the driver or another car were at fault, failure to wear seatbelts could cause your judgment against the other driver to be reduced to the injury you would have had had you been wearing your seat belt.
But as between the driver and passenger, the owner or driver could have insisted that the other party wear hir seatbelt. When I pick up a hitchhiker, I insist that he wear his seatbelt. With my friends I don't (although they all do it anyhow.O)
If he was driving, I doubt that any act they were jointly involved in would be a defense against a claim by her of negligence by him.

This line of mine is unclear. Failing to use a seatbelt is negligence but isn't legal negligence unless one has a duty to someone else, such as to drive or ride carefully, that isn't performed unless one wears a seatbelt. And even if a scenario could be creat ed where failure to wear a seatbelt endangered other people in the car, unless someone else B is actually injured because A failed to wear the seatbelt, it is only "negligence in the air" and it's not actionable.
I had an annoying, compulsive acquaintance who insisted once that I wear a seatbelt when I drove in our infrequent carpool. Maybe he thought that if we got hit from the side, I'd be better able to control the car afterwards if I was wearing my seatbelt. It's conceivable but unlikely it would make any difference at that point. And since we were in a rural area, or on a mostly empty expressway, it was very unlikely I'd get hit from the side. Had there been an accident, unless my failure to wear the seatbelt somehow caused the accident or caused him greater injury than if I had been wearing the seatbelt, my failure to wear the seatbelt wouldn't have mattered.