OT Toyota

Mine is a 2006 Matrix and never gave it a thought to not drive it.

I had a GM vehicle lose throttle control when the throttle linkage broke off and the throttle went to full. I was approaching a T intersection and just put the car into neutral and turned off the ignition.... no problem.

This was part of my basic training when learning to drive and I think that it should be a part of mandatory emergency procedures.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

On a Deisel, other than Common rail, the injector pump is powered mechanixcally by the engine, and "pulling the rack" shuts off injection, stopping the engine.

A "common rail" deisel uses a high pressure pump and electric fuel injectors, just like a gas engine (although much more robust) so shutting off the electricity to the injectors OR the pump will stop the engine if the pump is eectrically driven.

Most non-common-rail diesels have either a shutdown motor or an emergency kill linkage, or both. If the shuddown motor fails, you need to manually "pull the rack" to shut it off - which is what either a normal mechanical shutdown or an emergency kill does.

An engine on a large "loader" - Front-enf loader, Loader/backhoe, industrial loader tractor - whatever you want to call it - kinda like a 'Dozer with wheels instead of tracks.

Reply to
clare

I'd have thought hat someone with that training would know what to do. Sad results from an alleged professional with some driver training.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski