OT - Toy Money

Page 1 of 3

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.
So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Fun can be a bike ride (assuming you already have the bike, of course). Then when you're done, you're too tired to spend any more money.
Assuming you have food, of course.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unless your church does actual real-world good works (funding mission trips doesn't count) with the tithe, I'd start with redirecting that.
-- aem, trusting organized religion even less than organized government or organized crime, sends...
Add pictures here
✖
That's a secular point of view. Now that I'm living the various covenants, I find that God keeps His end. When I pay an honest tithe, so many things work so much better. Reducing my tithe is false economy.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion. It's in the handbook.
Add pictures here
✖
Strange, I missed that lesson. I musta been out, having fun? I'm in trouble, now.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's the way they are. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/6/2010 6:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a lot of trouble just monotyping.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
You monotypers live such boring lives.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Organized religion IS organized crime.
✖
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 23:03:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

After all of the above, and savings, whatever is left. ;-) Put another way, as long as the obligations are taken care of, it's your money.
Add pictures here
✖

Yabbut. How much money is reasonable to keep in a fast access, rainy day fund? I could only really start enjoying myself knowing that if something truly bad happened, I'd have some resources to deal with it. That makes the calculation a bit messy.
They say you should have at least 3X the mortgage payment tucked away, but trouble often hits much harder than that. I think 30X the mortgage payment is probably where you can start to feel comfortable enough to plan a Disney cruise with the kiddies. From what I've seen lately, people have 30X the monthly mortgage payment in DEBTS, not savings!! I guess the advantage there is that you can file for bankruptcy and make your fellow citizens eat the losses in higher prices. )-:
Fortunately, US savings levels, which were at all time lows are starting to creep back up as people realize how long they might have to fend for themselves if the breadwinner gets fired and can't find a new job.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
Robert Green wrote:

Amen, brother. I've been poor, as used to be traditional during and shortly thereafter college. Didn't care for it, gonna try like hell never to do it again. There were family financial dry spells growing up as a kid, although we always had a roof and food. Several siblings have been broke on and off over the years.
Net effect of all this is that I have turned into a bit of a cheap SOB over the years. I'll never be rich (too much of a mouth to ever play the corporate game successfully), but I have managed to hold on to a decent paying job for 30 years. I have enough in the bank to pay the mortgage for several years (small house, half of what they approved me for), as well as buy food, plus enough seed money to start over elsewhere if I had to, at a modest level. Never made a monthly car payment in my life, and buy my toys off the trailing edge. There are people with non-working spouses and rug rats that get by (and save regularly) on less than I do, and I have great respect for that, but the 1/3 pay cut I would take if I retire as soon as I am eligible scares me to death. If I could find a job that I actually enjoyed that would make up part of the difference, it would make the decision to go a lot easier.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Start your own business.
Many years ago, I decided that if was doomed to work for a fool, it might as well be me.
Never looked back.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

You missed the line where I said I have 'too much of a mouth?' Running your own business means dealing with the public, including the idiots. I already have blood pressure problems. I'm also a soft touch- people who are good at BS stories prey on people like me. Not saying running your own business is bad, and I admire people who do. But with age comes wisdom, and I have learned that my skills (such as they are) lie elsewhere.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

Depend, too, on the business. I am a freelance writer and 99% of my time is spent with myself. Most of the rest of the time, the interactions with clients last maybe 10 minutes tops and I can usually control myself for that amount of time. Perfect job for surly SOB such as myself (grin).
and name it after the IRS.
✖
Sounds like you're better in a punch clock or salaried job?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 8/7/2010 7:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Like me, you can fire customers. Some people are impossible to deal with. I'm always polite when I say, "I'm sorry, I can't do business with you anymore. Perhaps some other service company would be a much better match for you." I've had some real ding dongs as customers and when they open their mouths to me the wrong way, I'll bid them farewell and I'm suddenly no longer available.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
I've done that, but only less than a dozen in twenty years. Two were used car dealers, one was a property manager guy. I told him of some major security problems in his master key system, but he didn't want to do anything about it. Probably a couple others.
Something I read years ago, and don't have the copy I read. A business, someone sat down with the books. Found out the sales force was practicing the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time courting 20% of the income. They shifted the sales guys attention and sales went up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus