OT The Cloud

Page 3 of 3
On 4/23/2011 7:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Agreed, but not that big a deal for doing backups, since you can light it up and walk away. (Unless of course you are doing manual backups.)
--
aem sends...

I have two USB drives. I back up my laptop to one weekly, then copy that to the other when I get around to it (probably every three months).

The difference is not that great. The sustained transfer rate to the drive is nowhere near 6Gbps (more like 1Gbps for the fastest drives on the market).
In any case, it's several orders of magnitude faster than DVD.
On 4/22/2011 2:35 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I am not really interested in storing my information on someone elses system even though the marketing department has decided to call it "the cloud".
External hard drives are inexpensive. I have two drives that I rotate and store properly. Automatic backup software does the rest and I retain control of my data.
Metspitzer wrote the following:

Buy an external HD that is connected to your computer vis USB. You can get them in many capacities cheaply. Seagate has a 500 Gigabyte external HD for $60. Put all your valuable stuff on there for storage. Pull the USB plug until you need to store or retrieve your data. Storing your data on some server that can access your data is not very secure.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY