OT Stop signs

Page 2 of 2

I remember that day too. Upstairs in my parents' bedroom they installed a different phone, but on the wall phone in the kitchen with a metal case about 2x2x3.5" and a hook, he had taken off the 2x2 cover, and put on a cover that had a dial sticking out of it, on a short pedestal I think.
One time I called my best friend, who lived across the street, and all I hard was click-click, click-click-click, clic... and I hung up, and the phone rang. He was calling me.

On 03/07/2014 03:23 PM, micky wrote:

I still remember by best friend's number from the year 1955:
22756
On 3/8/2014 12:37 PM, philo wrote:

I've only been able to do this once, but I called a guy and got beeps in my ear. I put on my best voice and said "we're sorry, the number you have reached doesn't want to talk to you. Go home and don't come out all day." Then I hung up and called back. He wasn't sure how I got onto his son's message machine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/08/2014 11:37 AM, philo wrote:
[snip]

When I moved here, all phone numbers were in the form 657-xxxx, and you could make a local call by dialing 5 digits*. Younger people probably don't remember this, but some older ones do. When I bought a washer at an old store and the salesman asked for my number, he wrote down 7- and 4 more digits.
Also, I got an ATM card with a 4-digit PIN. Someone at the bank told me about how some people will write it down with a 7- before it as misinformation so it looks like a phone number.
* - a couple of exceptions: a pay phone would require 7 digits, and calling someone on your party line required (IIRC) 14 digits.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 03/08/2014 01:57 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I don't recall much about it... but I do have a pencil I got from my grandmother who lived in an even smaller town and the Chevy dealer's number was 66
On 3/10/2014 7:04 PM, philo wrote:

I used to live in 1-xxxx, and a couple towns over you could dial the xx6-1234.
I hope when the town got a bit larger, the Chevy dealer got a larger number, 666. Hell on wheels.
Chevrolet, a real beast. Look at the mark.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/8/2014 11:37 AM, philo wrote:

I remember my home phone number from when I was six years old.
JE8-7XXX I'm not posting the numbers because there are too many morons who read posts and would actually dial the phone number. I've no idea who has my old phone number today. o_O
TDD
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:37:54 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:

They've always been red here and I ain't no kid, either.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:20:08 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann

I don't think so.

How old are you? And where are you?
I think the big cities got red signs earlier than small towns, but since they made yellow until 1954 and I'm sure they used them for years after that (depending on how much money the govt. had to spend on replacement signs) I'll bet even in big cities there were some yellow ones up to 1960.
http://www.myparkingsign.com/MPS/article_history-of-stop-sign.aspx
Here's a picture of a yellow stop sign, obviously taken after the invention of photography:
http://www.myparkingsign.com/article-yellow-stop-sign
He doesn't mention red fading, but he does say that yellow and black were quite visible, while red wasn't . He goes on to say that improvements in reflectivity made red more visible than it had been, and that red meant danger and stop, and was the color of stop lights. So I think red fading** was just the best guess of my mother and me why the signs had been yellow. **For example if you leave a street map on your dashboard for 3 to 8 years and you park outside, the red streets will disappear completely, leaving no evidence visible to the eye that they were ever there.

That is why they have a distinctive shape. Also, FWIW, even color blind people can still see changes in brightness and can (usually) obey stop lights. It would be interesting to see if the change over to LED impacts that at all.
but what they conceal is vital."
On 3/5/2014 6:37 PM, micky wrote:

"Don't" and "Stop" are the two words that I hate the most....unless they are used together. :-)

That was the ending theme of a Popeye cartoon. Olive Oyl was kissing him repeatedly and he was yelling Don't. . ..........................Stop .......................................Don't...................................Stop.........................Don't...... Stop.................................Don't........Stop.................Don't Stop.
Olive Oyl was a little too thin, if you ask me.

Dunno if I should admit to being this old.... but yes, I remember yellow stop signs, back when I was a kid.