OT - Special website for homeguy

Time to go shopping

I don't have any affiliation with this site/s. Somebody in a Knitting group sent me the link.

Reply to
frag

The point of that website (and other such "buy american" campaigns) is to buy US-made goods while at the same time not buying asian-made products.

There is never any consideration made about whether or not it's good, bad or neutral to avoid Canadian-made products .

Given that Canada and the US has had a free-trade agreement in place for many years, how should Canadians react to these "buy american" initiatives?

Should we be equally obstinate and pursue our own "buy Canadian" agenda? Does that help trade and jobs in BOTH our countries?

Avoiding purchasing products made in China is understandable, given they are geo-politically not aligned with the US, and they probably have strong trade barriers in place against importing goods from the US (ironically, just like Japan and Korea does).

But what about Canada?

Where does Canadian-made goods fit into these various "buy american" initiatives? What is accomplished by the US consumer if they also avoid the "made in Canada" label? Cutting off nose to spite face maybe?

Reply to
Home Guy