OT: Scientists achieve nuclear fusion with giant laser

Page 3 of 3

It matters not. We've already polluted this ol' orb to the point of no return. I figure mankind, as a living species, has about 30-50 yrs. 8|
nb
On 02/13/2014 10:15 AM, notbob wrote:

Agreed!
In my opinion, Monsanto and their GMO crops will destroy the world's food supply in less time than that.
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:58:09 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

I don't see what qualifies this as tremendous news. Scientists have created small fusion reactions in a lab setting for decades now. Yes, it's another step that they've gotten more energy out than they've put in for the first time, but if you look at what it took to do that, there is no clear path, in fact no path at all, to how this could be made commercially viable. It's one thing to take some mega laser that fills a whole building and create a little energy out of one tiny pellet. There is a long road from that to being able to actually contain and capture the energy and scale it up to something that produces commercial energy. And a good chance that before that happens, something else that's more viable will come along.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 07:16:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I am sorry you do not agree about the significance.

Cool about LLNL, very impressive actually!
I am very curious about the containment methods which would be required to make fusion commercially viable as a power source.

At least a tokamak can model steady state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Were you the guy that had that small shattered section of Neodynium doped laser sitting onyour desk? The one that when fired off found an internal flaw so all the energy converged on it. and $20,000 evaporated instantly.

No, but the story sounds vaguely familiar.
I worked six yrs as a contract mech tech on several of LLNLs projects. Some were worthy, others less so. I moved to the private sector when I realized my personal safety was not a primary concern of the feds. That, and there was more money to be made in Silicon Valley. ;)
nb
On 2/13/2014 11:22 AM, notbob wrote:

federal law, i.e. OSHA. ^_^
TDD

What did they use to get 4 quadrillion watts to the lasers within a second?

Capacitors. Huge capacitor banks that charge over time and dump in milliseconds.
nb

Okay. Actually, I didnt' look it up before, but the time allowed was "less than 30 femtoseconds, or 0.00000000000003 seconds."