OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

Page 4 of 8
On 6/4/2016 9:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And now we see Clare's complete failure of a mind reading act.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/4/2016 7:08 PM, Sky wrote:

Any time some thing is made that makes no sense, I figure it's got to be either environmentally friendly, or energy saving. Either which what way, probably forced on us by government regulation.
Detergent without phosphates. Low flow toilets. Vehicles with less passenger space due to huge air bags. Stoves too small for a bird, due to energy efficiency requirements and thick wall insullation. And the list goes on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 6:03:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

the storage drawer is much smaller than ovens without the convection feature. If I had wanted a larger storage drawer I would have had to give up the convection feature. There's always a catch when you buy something these days.

The electric demand for gas water heaters is very minimal (about the same as a gas stove, a 15 A circuit), it's only enough to operate the thermostat and a couple of tiny LEDs that indicate it's in use. With electric water heaters an electrical supply upgrade would be required for larger gallon capacities because as the gallons increase so does the heating element wattage... a large capacity water heater may require the electical demand of a central AC system/electric stove.
On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 15:42:24 -0400, Brooklyn1

to 180 amps just for the heater. Small ones draw as much as an electric range or drier (40 to 60 amps)
Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Sheldon, my gas hot water heater has NO electrical lead at all.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My mistake. I read many responses then when I went back to respond myself I forgot about the gas part. No...I was talking about an electric water heater. Sorry for the confusion, Sky.
Anyway, many years ago, a customer put in a large Jacuzzi. She was filling it to use and the hot water ran out before it was even half filled. They needed a larger hot water heater. Turned out that the larger one required more power and she had to hire an electrician to change the switch/fuse box. I'm guessing that the larger one needed 220? I don't know the details.

over about 10 gallons anyway.
On 6/4/2016 8:51 AM, Gary wrote:

LOL! No worries about a hot, er cold, showers ;-) My folks live very nearby, so I'm able to impose on their facilities (VBG!) while my home is without its water heater 8-) At least I can make do with regard to cleaning dishes, etc. With regard to laundry, it's very rare when hot water is needed.
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================
On 6/4/2016 8:51 AM, Gary wrote:

Thankfully, I have family nearby where shower facilities are readily and conveniently available - whew and WHEW, eh! VBG!
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================

Hev DID specify it was a natural gas water heater - so I'm VERY doubtfull there will be any effect on his electrical service - - - -

Why would one need to upgrade an electrical system to replace a natural gas water heater?
On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 9:10:59 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

He was thinking it was an electric WH, resolved earlier.
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 9:39:46 AM UTC-4, Sky wrote:

I wouldn't buy a new water heater based on what some future buyer might or might not think about it. When mine went about 15 years ago, I went down to HD and bought a basic 40 gal model, made by State. You could consider a larger one, if there is some reason to believe the 40 isn't adequate. I would not put $500 or $1500 more into a water heater on some theory that you're going to get more than that or even that money back.
On 6/4/2016 8:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Makes sense, however, my home is more than 50-plus years old, so . . . And I will have to sell it at some point, that is, if I don't die first <G>. If/when that's the case, I'll have no worries, eh - LOL :> Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================

This might be some help: https://www.energystar.gov/products/water_heaters

On 6/4/2016 9:02 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Thank you so much for the link. It's very informative and definitely helps with my "homework" and research ;>
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================
On 6/4/2016 5:42 PM, Sky wrote:

It is interesting, but I was a bit disappointed in the potential savings for Energy Star: Choosing an ENERGY STAR qualified gas storage water heater instead of a standard model can save a family of four about $25 per year.
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 11:26:49 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And the EPA tends to be optimistic. So, you can pay $500 more for a higher efficiency WH and wait 20 years to get it back. Only problem, most gas WHs don't last that long.

Thank you so much for the link you provided -- it's very helpful!