OT Property taxes

How is not reliable? It's actual news clips from the media itself. It may have shown only one, but much like cockroaches, if you see one, there are thousands you don't see. Search for yourself and you'll find plenty more, but if I posted a hundred links to videos, I believe you still wouldn't believe it

Reply to
ChairMan

+1 That is the truth. The local (smaller) entities usually have a better handle on this because they may know the people. Even in our little burg one of the stupidvisors wanted a golf course. He got it and we pay. He takes a lot of heat for this and will soon be voted out.

You think you own your house? Don't pay your taxes for three years and you'll see how much you own.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Never had any kidz so my 40 years of taxes is oppresive.In PA new gov Wolf wants to increase sales other taxes and lower the property tax. I will be dead and never see any lowering of property taxes; never happen. Just pay more. The state is responsible in PA to fund the skewlz but doesn't do it in the sububurbs. Philly & Pittsburgh get $$$$ but still need more and more.

In East PA we have the SE PA Transportation Authority (SEPTA) running thr publix body moving. Thet need money too. At one place I worked at I always wondered why the service people that worked on the signals and crossings would have a new vehicle every year... Never a scratch on a truck. I never had the nerve to ask why as he was there every other week it seemed. The had wreck many years ago and I was the first EMS chief o/s. Definition of mad house. Nobody seriously hurt but a lot of paperwork for me. Never found out how many "riders" sued...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I don't think I've ever seen property taxes go down more then a very tiny percent when some bond ended. Even when the bubble burst and real values took a nosedive the taxes stay high because it takes several years for the book value on the tax rolls to drop and in the meantime they keep raising the rates to make up for it. Virtually every year my taxes go up anywhere from 4 to 20% cuz these weasels in gvt just never seem to have enough money to squander.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Robert Green posted for all of us...

I think there is too much emphasis on sports. It is almost cult-like or a religion. Too late now. Look at sports pages vs honor rolls in newspapers. Kid scores a point big ta-do but kid that wins a science fair is on page 5 and proceeds to get mocked.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I had one.

For those of you that had none, do you really want even more wild kids running around? Think of it as partly for your own safety.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yes, those kids you educate will be the doctors taking care of you in your later days. If properly educated, the will be self sufficient and contribute to society instead of a drain on out tax dollars.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep, even if I never had kids I'd still have been glad to pay for education. No one has gutted the system like Walker. It really is a crime.

If Walker wanted to go after the illegitimate -for profit- colleges I'd have thought differently.

Note: I do not have a problem with -for profit- colleges, I'm specifically talking about the ones that will automatically graduate anybody, no matter how poorly they do.

Reply to
philo

I have nothing at all against sports, simply the -sports-first- attitude.

De-funding education while funding sports is one of my pet peeves.

philo

During the so called "housing bubble" the city started assessing the value of houses /above/ actual market value making the assumption the value was going to keep rising.

That's when my taxes got so high I considered moving.

The city informed us that even though our bills were higher, they had actually lowered the tax rate. So I have...in a way...seen taxes go down...even though they went up.

Great Orwellian double-speak.

Reply to
philo

I don't have any thing against sports either. In fact it keeps thousands of people out of my hair on things I enjoy doing.

I do agree with you on how they are funded. I don't want any of my tax dollars going to build places for them to play. Charlotte NC built a big 'show place' for sports and later found it could not support its self so they asked the banks for forgiveness for some of the money. That probably affects me.

Just saw on the news that some big college wanted to buy a new jet for the sports people so they could fly around to the high schools to recrute new players. Why can't they just fly comercial ?

A number of years ago it was said that Michael Jorden got paid more to advertise a product (think it was shoes) that year than the workers of the whole factory made that year. I don't use that product, and hope never to use it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Then something is apparently very wrong in your city govt, so why aren't you complaining about that, instead of Gov Walker? Rising assessments should not affect the amount of taxes you pay. If a town needs X dollars to fund it's budget, then they apply whatever tax rate it takes to get that from the total assessed value of all the properties. If the value of the properties is higher, then the tax rate just gets set lower, so that they raise the same amount. What raises taxes is uncontrolled spending.

Typically some people do wind up paying more taxes because all properties don't always appreciate proportionally. Here at the shore people with waterfront properties have been complaining because when revaluation was done, there properties went up substantially more than other inland properties in other neighborhoods. But that isn't the govt's fault, it just reflects the economic reality. So, they wind up paying more, some other folks wind up paying less. For everyone to be paying higher, it would require that your local govt decided to jump their total spending up. Again, that would be the local govt, not Walker.

Reply to
trader_4

Pretty sure it was shoes.

I do know that a large part of what we pay for products is the advertising.

I find that non-advertised products are sometimes 25% the price of the advertised brands.

Reply to
philo

Without complaining, the situation eventually rectified itself. The free market system though perhaps not perfect is the best we have.

I've found through experience that any time I've ever complained about anything the situation only got worse.

The one exception is that I can say anything I like on Usenet and absolutely nothing happens.

Reply to
philo

That's probably because you're a Democrat and the solutions that you want for the things you're complaining about are all wrong.

Reply to
trader_4

How un-American of you! Remember, the football players are usually well educated college graduates and really deserve $15million a year for all the good they do for the world.

I have not bought a pro sports ticket in the past 50 years. Even if you gave me tickets, I don't care to attend though I have a few times many years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If I complain about taxes going up when the Gov. said he's be working to cut them, that's because I'm a Democrat.

It's nice to know that Republicans don't complain about such things.

Like I said before , my wife and I do not vote 100% Democratically. It's that we have more of a tendency to do so.

Reply to
philo

The fact that the best example of bipartisanship you gave us was that your wife voted for Reagan once, the first time he was elected, kind of defines where you are on the spectrum....

Reply to
trader_4

On 04/25/2015 09:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: d.

I grew up in Green Bay back in the 1950's

As soon as Vince Lombardi comes back I'll be going to football games

Reply to
philo

that like saying, "I'm not prejudice, some of my best friends are black" Also, since you complain mostly about Repubs, is there anything that Obama is doing, has done or wants to do, that you STRONGLY disagree with? Or lets widen the question, How do you feel about Billarys' track record and would you vote for her to be president?

Reply to
ChairMan