OT: Postal mailbox, is it necessary?

Page 2 of 2

delivery --

Is it necessary (required by law) for my home to have a mailbox?

The same thing in Beckenridge, you either get a post office box or go to general delivery to get your mail.

On 8/9/2010 12:03 PM, RickH wrote:

no. the po will just trash anything but first class mail, and if it (the first class mail) is undeliverable, they'll just send it back.
--
Steve Barker

I pick up my mail from the various senders. Most are within 150 miles so once a month I visit the phone company, electric company, friends that want to send me birthday cards, etc. The following month I make the same trip dropping off checks and picking up the next month's bills. I save a bundle on postage.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like the housewife who drives to the next county to save three-cents on a pound of bananas.

I still have a rickety old mail box up but I didn't fix it very well the last time a bunch of idiots went by in the middle of the night and drove over mine and a few other mail boxes in our neighborhood. That shit happens way too often out here in the country.
I still get a few things in the box but I didn't fix the flag so I don't put any outgoing mail in the box. That's a little bit of a security risk these days anyway with all the creeps out there trying to steal folks identity.
I have a PO. Box in town anyway so I try to get most every thing sent there. I got that when I was selling a bunch of stuff on eBay for a couple of years and didn't want to post my physical address on the internet. Now, I only have to go get the mail two or three times a week so It ain't much of a hassle for me.
As far as stuff with the banks and loans and the IRS and such. Even if I took down the box I would still have a physical address for my residence. It's just that my mailing address would be different. But I have run into a couple of instances when purchasing stuff on the internet that some folks won't ship to a PO Box.
David
On 8/10/2010 10:37 AM, hibb wrote:

That's why I have a private mailbox service. When I worked overseas, I had a private mailbox back home and my mail was handled by someone I could trust.
TDD
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:03:54 -0700 (PDT), RickH

We have a house that we rent out that does not have a mailbox. All mail I am expecting is sent to me instead. I don't get the junk mail. I wouldn't want to have a mailbox because anything important delivered there is likely to not be seen by me.
--
Replace you know what by j to email