OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

Page 2 of 4

PRECISION GPS unit that can not be shut off should alarm anytime a ship veers into dangerous areas.
and ships captains should be required to explain to authorties why the system alarmed!

How about executing the captain if the ship varies from a path known to be *free* of underwater obstacles. There is a difference between dangerous areas and areas known to be free of hazards.

No explanation needed. Fire the nitwit.
active sonar interferes with wildlife mating etc. whales talk by making noise and can be drownd out by active sonar

Are you always on drugs?

Uncalled for. You don't believe a statement? Google a bit before making an ... of yourself.
--
Best regards
Han

Wrong. He *must* be on drugs.

Irrelevant. WTF did it have to do with the post he was replying to or anything else, for that matter.

Of course that's your answer. You're a druggie too.
Sounds like every day on Usenet?
active sonar interferes with wildlife mating etc. whales talk by making noise and can be drownd out by active sonar

Sounds like a good idea until you think about how practical it is. Like the crew being distracted and running into the dock or grounding in a channel because the alarm is constantly going off and driving them nuts as they enter shallow water coming into port, etc.
And then you have the many areas where even the latest charts don't show current shoaling, etc.

And if the ship's captain is going to ignore known hazards, what good would more warning be? He sailed the ship into KNOWN shoals.
Harry K

I guess according to harry they should take out the stick shaker that warns of an impending stall in airplanes and all the other warning systems too, because the captain might ignore them.

So instead of addressing the point, resort to insults?
Harry K

against the Navy seeking a court order to curb midfrequency sonar, the Navy's preferred method for detecting enemy submarines, on the grounds the sonar disturbs and sometimes kills whales and dolphins. It got settled after the Supremes said defense needs trump the whales, but that wouldn't be a concern with cruise ships.

The navy doesn't want a bunch of extra pings rattling around the 7 seas either. It would make them much more vulnerable if an errant ping hit them. It would probably also make it harder It would also be an added expense to no real gain. Just stay in the known shipping lanes and you would be good to go.

The guy on Science Friday today (well, yesterday, Friday), or maybe it was Terry Gross, said that the ships had depthfinders and electronic navigation charts.
I actually don't know what active sonar is. He didnt' say anything about it, pro or con.

The typical depth finders and fish finders on boats are one form of active sonar. They send out a pulse that gets reflected back by objects, the time delta giving the depth. There are also forward looking ones that give images/depths of what's ahead. Whether they are practical for a ship of that size approaching shallow water, I don't know.
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:15:00 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Is there inactive sonar?

It turns out he was having dinner with a pretty travel agent when the ship hit the rocks. But he still waited for his dinner, and after they finished dinner, she waited with her for her desert.
She said he after that he was on the bridge until 11:45, but of course the ship continued sinking for hours after that.
I also heard that he said he fell off the deck into the lifeboat. Anyone hear that?
Also something about a laptop.
They have T-shirts in Italy now saying "Get back on the boat". They're meant politically also.

Of course. It's called "passive sonar".
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:12:52 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

What good would that do? The rocks are non-electronic.

Who said it would do any good? You're the only one dumb enough to bring up passive sonar in this thread.

I heard on the news tonight, he was having dinner, but asked to be notified when the ship was 6 miles from the island. He steered the ship into the rocks because he wanted to get close.

water and they was hauled into the lifeboat.

I have to wonder if we will ever know the real truth of what took place. Differing news reports, a few lies and supposition by others sure makes it a mess.