OT neighbor

Hello everyone. My husband used to post here, before he passed several years ago. I used to enjoy reading this forum along side of him in the evenings.

I have a "what would you do" question.

My neighbor has large trees, which overhang our property. During this past wind storm, several large limbs ended up on my property. I asked him if he could remove them, so I could cut the lawn. He called me every name in the book, and told me it's my problem.

I suppose I could hire someone to remove them, but only having a fixed income, and Arty didn't have life insurance, sure puts a bind on things around here. I'd move them myself, but at 73, I'm afraid I don't have the strength to, as it already takes me several days to cut the grass on a city lot.

What would you do?

Thank you.

Reply to
Jan Taylor

Sorry for the loss of your husband. If you belong to a church, someone from the congregation may be able to help you. I help my neighbors all the time when I can and my friends at their churches when I can. I'm sure there must be a GOOD neighbor somewhere around you or a community service group or even a boyscout troop who would help you. There are still nice people in this world despite much of the evidence to the contrary. When we had a tornado come through and devastate the area, a number of folks started calling in to the local talk radio shows and offering to help anyone in need. The neighbors were there before FEMA even woke up. A phone call to The Red Cross or Salvation Army might get you a contact number for someone who would be glad to help you. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

[...]

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm afraid I just moved here this year, I don't drive, and have mobile meals deliver what I need to eat. I suppose I could ask the delivery person where to contact. I definately will look into the Red Cross & Salvation Army.

It's just so depressing, I should have stayed in Arizona and not moved north.

Arty was a tile expert, I see a couple people still post here, when he was posting. It's refreshing to know, people are still trying to help people solve their home repairs.

Reply to
Jan Taylor

Hi, Sorry about your husband. I hope your neighbor is not that bad other ways. About a month ago exactly same thing happened to my neighbor from my tree limbs falling over into their yard hitting their hot tub.

I called my insurance Co. and they sent a crew to clean up the mess and I had the injured tree cut down. Likewise IMO, your neighbor or their insurance should take care of the mess. After all it's their tree.

Luckily their hot tub did not suffer any damage, if they did it would've been my responsibility too. As far as I am concerned, it is common sense affair.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sorry to hear of your loss.

First, anyone that would call a 73 YO widow "every name in the book" and refuse to help needs a few large tree limbs dropped on him. Unless of course there's some past event that we don't know about that has caused a rift between you (or your husband?) and him.

When a neighbor's tree limbs fell on my property, I called my Homeowners Insurance company and put in a claim. Now, in my case, they landed on the roof and deck, not just in the yard, so the clean up was pretty extensive. There was no damage to the house or deck, but there was a large amount of wood hanging precariously off of my house and not something that I wanted to tackle from the roof or a ladder.

Depending on how much of the tree is in your yard, you might want to at least call your Ins Co and get an idea of the cost.

How about contacting a Boy Scout troop, Big Brother, or some other community organization and see if they are looking for "community service" projects for their members?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would contact the city and ask them what the policy is for a tree overhanging onto a neighbor's property. In many cities, the tree is the responsibility of the originating owner, and if you live in such a city, the neighbor would be obligated to remove the limbs.

Alternately, if the limbs are big enough, take a picture of them and post a picture in Craigslist for "free limbs for firewood".

As a third option, find a half-dozen other women such as yourself, and mill around his house at night chanting. The next time he stubs his toe he'll think he's been cursed, and he'll beg you to remove it.

But I'd call the city, first.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Jan Taylor wrote the following on 10/15/2012 11:41 AM (ET):

I hate these neighbor dispute questions. It usually winds up with getting revenge as the only solution. Revenge - Everything that hangs over your property is yours, including tree branches from other properties. The neighbor is usually not required to remove his fallen branches from your property. So, you get a tree person to cut up the fallen branches on your property and then have them cut all the branches on your neighbor's trees that hang over your property so they don't fall on your property any more.

Perhaps if you told him that beforehand, he'll remove the branches.

Reply to
willshak

Sorry to hear about your husband. In my area lots of people have wood burning stoves. If this is so where you live,why not put a sign up outside your house "FREE FiREWOOD" It would be gone in half a day where I live.

Reply to
harry

Sorry to hear this but if they fall on your property it is normally your responsibility. Your neighbor is a jerk. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago and called neighbors to tell them that one of their trees had fallen on my property because they cannot see it from their house. They came over and removed it but did not have to.

Homeowners insurance will sometimes take care of. Does not sound like a big job and if you ask around may find someone to do cheaply. My son had a tree die is his front yard and both our chain saws were broken but somebody looking for work saw it, knocked on his door and took it down for less than $100.

Reply to
Frank

Walk to the corner store. Approach a few strong teenagers, and ask if they want to make a couple bucks. Have them cut the branches into small enough pieces to lift. Then, have them pitch the pieces over the fence into his yard.

.

I have a "what would you do" question.

My neighbor has large trees, which overhang our property. During this past wind storm, several large limbs ended up on my property. I asked him if he could remove them, so I could cut the lawn. He called me every name in the book, and told me it's my problem.

I suppose I could hire someone to remove them, but only having a fixed income, and Arty didn't have life insurance, sure puts a bind on things around here. I'd move them myself, but at 73, I'm afraid I don't have the strength to, as it already takes me several days to cut the grass on a city lot.

What would you do?

Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can also ask local government (city, county, etc.) because some of these offer special services to elderly taxpayers, i.e. workforces of either volunteers or convicted minor offenders.

E.g. the city hall web site nearest to my home lists: " Completed inventory of ?What the City Does for Seniors? (Phase 1) " Reviewed trends in Seniors? services in other Canadian municipalities"

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I rather liked the Morman's suggestion of asking teenagers at the corner store. They'd work cheaply enough but you said "large" limbs. We all have our own definition of "large" but I'm guessing that they need chain sawing and that you don't have a chain saw. Even if you did I wouldn't suggest turning teenagers loose with one.

Even though you don't get out much, you probably do so at times...doctors, beauty parlor, etc. Try asking everyone you come in contact with if they know someone who could/would do it reasonably. With luck, you'll find a willing volunteer.

Good luck.

Reply to
dadiOH

And of course, TDD has the gentle answer. I'd open the phone book, and call churches, to see if they can help. I'm partial to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They (we) do a lot of free work.

.

[...]

After some thought, the teenagers idea grows less suitable. Teens seldom display good judgement, and are often dangerous. Calling churches from the yellow pages sounds better.

Years ago, someone posted a help wanted to move a big branch. I don't remember the details, but I got there and had a big laugh, I could have pulled the branch to the curb without any cutting. The woman had some handicaps, and she could not have pulled it.

.

I rather liked the Morman's suggestion of asking teenagers at the corner store. They'd work cheaply enough but you said "large" limbs. We all have our own definition of "large" but I'm guessing that they need chain sawing and that you don't have a chain saw. Even if you did I wouldn't suggest turning teenagers loose with one.

Even though you don't get out much, you probably do so at times...doctors, beauty parlor, etc. Try asking everyone you come in contact with if they know someone who could/would do it reasonably. With luck, you'll find a willing volunteer.

Good luck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Really? This nice lady comes here asking for advice and you suggest that she tell some teenagers to throw the limbs back over the fence? Are you going to be there when the police show up?

Oh I see, that explains the part where the members of your church do a lot of "free work"

After all, in another post you said: "I'm partial to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They (we) do a lot of free work."

So the "free work" would be you being there when the police show up after she follows your suggestion and has the teenagers throw the wood over the fence, right? That's very nice of you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Your homeowners insurance covers it. They'll pay to bring professionals on-site and remove the branches correctly.

Forget about the advice about churches and teenagers. Don't let non-professionals do work on your property, you could end up with bigger problems.

I've advised my wife that if I pass unexpectedly to number 1, sell the house and move into some place where someone else worries about issues like this.

I don't know why you are in a private house, but I think it's a bad idea.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Generally, what is above your property is yours, so branches overhanging your property would not be the neighbor's responsibility. Calling insurance co is good idea. Also most sizeable communities have senior services organizations and semi-govt. which might help out. There was a "one stop" information line in Florida, by calling 211, that had info about dozens of social services. If nothing else, try the Red Cross, at least as an info resource. The present and former cities where I reside have yearly "good neighbor" days, where folks volunteer for all sorts of residential help, from painting to landscaping....another place to check would be a local scout troop.

Reply to
Norminn

Might mention which state you reside. Some states (Texas here) you dial 211 from any phone and you reach a clearing house for assistance.

That said call the local office of your congress critter and ask to speak with the congress critters 'constituent liaison' person. Even if they can't help directly (very likely) that *do* know everyone in the area that is in a position to help.

Then there is Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, the local Council for the Boy Scouts, Fire Department especially if it's a volunteer group various senior groups.

Last check with your home owners insurance company. In some states it's legally the responsibility of the owner of the tree to make things right. Even if not the case the insurance company should be in an excellent position to give you some advice.

Reply to
NotMe

Ditto...Call city or town officials...

Reply to