OT neighbor

Page 1 of 6
Hello everyone. My husband used to post here, before he passed several years ago. I used to enjoy reading this forum along side of him in the evenings.
I have a "what would you do" question.
My neighbor has large trees, which overhang our property. During this past wind storm, several large limbs ended up on my property. I asked him if he could remove them, so I could cut the lawn. He called me every name in the book, and told me it's my problem.
I suppose I could hire someone to remove them, but only having a fixed income, and Arty didn't have life insurance, sure puts a bind on things around here. I'd move them myself, but at 73, I'm afraid I don't have the strength to, as it already takes me several days to cut the grass on a city lot.
What would you do?
Thank you.
On 10/15/2012 10:41 AM, Jan Taylor wrote:

Sorry for the loss of your husband. If you belong to a church, someone from the congregation may be able to help you. I help my neighbors all the time when I can and my friends at their churches when I can. I'm sure there must be a GOOD neighbor somewhere around you or a community service group or even a boyscout troop who would help you. There are still nice people in this world despite much of the evidence to the contrary. When we had a tornado come through and devastate the area, a number of folks started calling in to the local talk radio shows and offering to help anyone in need. The neighbors were there before FEMA even woke up. A phone call to The Red Cross or Salvation Army might get you a contact number for someone who would be glad to help you. ^_^
TDD

Thank you for your kind words.
I'm afraid I just moved here this year, I don't drive, and have mobile meals deliver what I need to eat. I suppose I could ask the delivery person where to contact. I definately will look into the Red Cross & Salvation Army.
It's just so depressing, I should have stayed in Arizona and not moved north.
Arty was a tile expert, I see a couple people still post here, when he was posting. It's refreshing to know, people are still trying to help people solve their home repairs.

You can also ask local government (city, county, etc.) because some of these offer special services to elderly taxpayers, i.e. workforces of either volunteers or convicted minor offenders.
E.g. the city hall web site nearest to my home lists: " Completed inventory of What the City Does for Seniors (Phase 1) " Reviewed trends in Seniors services in other Canadian municipalities"
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Ditto...Call city or town officials...

I bet as soon as she asks for help from the govt, that the code compliance person will site her for the branches on her property. It is not far fetched. Then she'll get a time limit to have it done and forced to spend lots of money to get it done ASAP. I know because this year it happened to me. Churches and Salvation Army and other charities are the way to go. Marina

Sorry, I don't mean to be mean or anything, but what on earth are you doing with your life? Do you just sit at home all day and watch TV? You're 73. There are plenty of things you can do to earn money to pay for things you need. Heck, I know a guy who is 87 and writes books about labor organizing in the 1940s and 50s. I know a woman who is 90 who prunes her own trees and teaches people how to use computers.
You're lucky in that you have a small income and your health. This is more than a lot of people have, so count your blessings and use what you have and run with it. You're bringing the depression on yourself when you have tools that can help you enjoy life.
And of course, TDD has the gentle answer. I'd open the phone book, and call churches, to see if they can help. I'm partial to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They (we) do a lot of free work.
[...]

Jan Taylor wrote:

Hi, Sorry about your husband. I hope your neighbor is not that bad other ways. About a month ago exactly same thing happened to my neighbor from my tree limbs falling over into their yard hitting their hot tub.
I called my insurance Co. and they sent a crew to clean up the mess and I had the injured tree cut down. Likewise IMO, your neighbor or their insurance should take care of the mess. After all it's their tree.
Luckily their hot tub did not suffer any damage, if they did it would've been my responsibility too. As far as I am concerned, it is common sense affair.
On 10/15/2012 12:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Generally, what is above your property is yours, so branches overhanging your property would not be the neighbor's responsibility. Calling insurance co is good idea. Also most sizeable communities have senior services organizations and semi-govt. which might help out. There was a "one stop" information line in Florida, by calling 211, that had info about dozens of social services. If nothing else, try the Red Cross, at least as an info resource. The present and former cities where I reside have yearly "good neighbor" days, where folks volunteer for all sorts of residential help, from painting to landscaping....another place to check would be a local scout troop.

Yes, that's the general rule in the USA.
Calling

For a removal of a few tree branches? Every homeowner's policy I've ever had included deductibles that would be far more than the cost. You'd essentially need a zero deductible to collect and even then I wouldn't put in a claim. Your claim history is one thing that determines your rate and availability of insurance.
In addition to the volunteer idea, I'd keep an eye out for tree companies, landscapers, etc that are doing work on houses nearby. When they are there, ask them if they would do it and how much. When they are already there and it's a 15 min job, you may get a very good price.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
First, anyone that would call a 73 YO widow "every name in the book" and refuse to help needs a few large tree limbs dropped on him. Unless of course there's some past event that we don't know about that has caused a rift between you (or your husband?) and him.
When a neighbor's tree limbs fell on my property, I called my Homeowners Insurance company and put in a claim. Now, in my case, they landed on the roof and deck, not just in the yard, so the clean up was pretty extensive. There was no damage to the house or deck, but there was a large amount of wood hanging precariously off of my house and not something that I wanted to tackle from the roof or a ladder.
Depending on how much of the tree is in your yard, you might want to at least call your Ins Co and get an idea of the cost.
How about contacting a Boy Scout troop, Big Brother, or some other community organization and see if they are looking for "community service" projects for their members?
On 10/15/2012 08:41 AM, Jan Taylor wrote:

I would contact the city and ask them what the policy is for a tree overhanging onto a neighbor's property. In many cities, the tree is the responsibility of the originating owner, and if you live in such a city, the neighbor would be obligated to remove the limbs.
Alternately, if the limbs are big enough, take a picture of them and post a picture in Craigslist for "free limbs for firewood".
As a third option, find a half-dozen other women such as yourself, and mill around his house at night chanting. The next time he stubs his toe he'll think he's been cursed, and he'll beg you to remove it.
But I'd call the city, first.
Jon

That's not the case in the vast majority of the US. While it may be true some place, I'd like to see an example of an area where the owner of a tree is responsible for branches of a normal appearing tree that overhang a neighbor's yard and come down in a wind storm.
Jan Taylor wrote the following on 10/15/2012 11:41 AM (ET):

I hate these neighbor dispute questions. It usually winds up with getting revenge as the only solution. Revenge - Everything that hangs over your property is yours, including tree branches from other properties. The neighbor is usually not required to remove his fallen branches from your property. So, you get a tree person to cut up the fallen branches on your property and then have them cut all the branches on your neighbor's trees that hang over your property so they don't fall on your property any more.
Perhaps if you told him that beforehand, he'll remove the branches.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

MOST places the tree is his, the damage is his - or his liability insurance - and if you shave everything off your side of his tree, you are liable for the damage to his tree.
On 10/15/2012 5:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Normally, branches over my property are MY responsibility. If the trees on the neighbor's property are in poor condition, then it can be a code violation and the city can require removal.

What idiot came up with this ?
Greg

I consider leaves from my trees in other yards my problem. I hope the wind bows real hard again this year so you can't see anything. Been like that a couple years.
Greg