OT: Move email Folder to My Documents

Yes, it's way OT, but (a) this NG knows everything, and (b) this NG knows everything.

I need to move an email Folder containing over 500 messages to My Documents.

Spent a long time searching looking on-line for how-to. Most solutions are very old, and all seem to deal with moving INDIVIDUAL emails.

Since the email Folder in question contains over 500 emails, this presents a daunting task.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What operating system do you have (Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc.)?

What email program are you using (Outlook, etc.)?

Reply to
TomR

Much depends on the email client you are using. If you access email through a web base client, chances are you will not be able to move them unless you copy and paste each one.

Some clients (software) such as Outlook stores the email as .PST files and can be moved within Windows Explorer.

Thunderbird stores email as .mbox

Outlook Express stores as .dbx

Therefore, it's usually a matter of finding them in Windows Explorer and moving them.

Reply to
Meanie

Second hit on Google:

Assuming you're talking about Outlook.

Reply to
Dan Espen

BTW, what would you hope to do with these emails if you stored them on your desktop? Even if you save the email extensions in another folder, you'll still need the email client (software) to read it. Basically, all that happens when you click on the file is it will open your default mail program in order to display it, so you might as well have left it in there in the first place.

Reply to
Meanie

Except what email software you have.

You don't normally move an e-mail folder to a directory on your hard drive.

Most email clients store all messages in a single mail file. You might have your messages subdivided into different folders (inbox, sent, junk, etc) but they're all still usually contained within a single mail file on your drive. At least that's how it works with outlook. Might work that way with Outlook express as well.

If you have just a single mail file, then you really can't move a folder inside it to a different location on your hard drive. You might be able to export that folder (or maybe archive it) in which case it would be extracted from your mail mail file into a second file which you could them move anywhere on your drive.

Reply to
Home Guy

SBH, I wanted to move the emails out of Verizon Web mail and store them in My Documents. There is already a Folder in My Documents on same subject; I just wanted to consolidate all.

I have much to learn .

Tx

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Try Thunderbird. Downloads mail to your pc and you can also read ngs there so all the folders you want are there stored in TB profile. You can set it up not to remove email from online source or remove it. I do this for laptop when traveling.

Reply to
Frank

I believe your best option is to use a computer base email software (client) such as Outlook and set it up to retrieve and send your email. Then, you can resort to the .pst file transfer within Windows Explorer "my documents" or simply store them in a separate folder within Outlook. Either way you store them on the computer will still require the default email software to open them.

Reply to
Meanie

Since you later wrote that you are using Windows XP and Verizon web-based email (as well as Gmail, Yahoo, etc.), I think you can probably do what you want to do.

Shown below are 4 links that I found.

The first link shows information on how to do what you want. It doesn't say specifically that their methods will work with Verizon web-based email, but they might work -- so you could try them with Verizon.

The second talks about using Thunderbird email to access any web-based email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) and save messages to your computer. It doesn't say specifically that it will work with Verizon web-based email, but my bet is that it will work.

The third and fourth links are from Verizon, and it looks like Verizon itself has a way for you to download web-based Verizon emails to your computer by choosing the right settings.

Here are the links:

.

Good luck and let us know if any of these work for what you want to do.

Reply to
TomR

Switch to Thunderbird and import your messages ... I've never done it, but play with options now and then and figured most email programs have import/export options. Here is link for importing:

Then "archive" your messages from T'bird. Never done that but I've used Netscape/Mozilla forever and ever and nary a problem.

Good luck.

Reply to
Norminn

Interesting. It does look like the OP can do what he wants simply by switching to Thunderbird as his eamil program.

Here's an excerpt from the link you provided: Switching from Web-based Email Applications to Thunderbird If you are using a web-based application provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to access your email, you probably only need to configure your account information to switch to Thunderbird. See Configure an account for instructions. Also, see ISP Configuration Settings for instructions on specific ISPs.

Once you have configured your account in Thunderbird, you should be able to access all your messages (both incoming and sent). However, your address book (contacts), mail filters and other settings will not be automatically transferred to Thunderbird.

Some web-base email applications allow you to export contacts in text or comma-separated formats. Check your ISP's documentation for more information. To import contacts into Thunderbird, select Tools | Import... and follow the instructions on the screen.

See Also a.. Account Setup chapter in the Thunderbird FLOSS manual b.. Migrate to Thunderbird chapter in the Thunderbird FLOSS manual

Reply to
TomR

????

OP said this:

"I also use Gmail and Yahoo mail clients, but this Folder happens to be in Verizon Web-based."

If his email is web-based, then he really isin't using a proper email client.

He's using a browser to access his email.

If that's the case, then *ANY* proper email client installed and running on his computer should be able to download (via pop3 or imap) the messages in his Verizon web-account, assuming the web-account allows / can be set up for such access.

Reply to
Home Guy

Thanks, everybody. I know to switch to one of the recommended email clients in future. My problem was how to move the 500+ *existing emails* from Verizon Webmail into [what]?

One of the kind posters did suggest a way to move it onto the hard drive, so I'll have a go at it and report whether it worked.

Tx

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I think that's what everyone (like me) thought you wanted to do -- move 500+ emails from your Verizon web-based email to your hard drive.

I think Thunderbird email will do that for you -- all at once -- but I am not sure. And, some of the other programs posted look like they do the same thing -- move a whole group of emails at once to your hard drive.

I also think that Verizon web-based email itself has a way for you to save all 500+ emails to your hard drive. Call them and ask them how to do that. They may say that you need a program like Outlook or Thunderbird email on your computer, or they may have a way for you to just change you Verizon settings and save all 500+ emails to your computer.

Reply to
TomR

Sheeeet! Again, not thinking of the obvious -- ask *&*&^$_& Verizon what to do. My excuse: Lotta heavy stuff going down...Tx for suggestion. Will ask them next week when things have quieted down and will report back.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No -

This is the obvious:

Use pretty much *any* e-mail client (thunderbird will do) and:

Mail server settings

  • Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net * Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995 * Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net * Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465 Why is this important? * Your Verizon Online user name * Your Verizon Online password * Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.

Pop mail has 2 basic settings when retrieving mail:

a) leave messages on server when retrieving mail b) remove messages on server when retrieving mail

It's your call if you want to remove the emails from the verizon server as your mail client downloads them to your computer. But remember, once you do this, they will be gone from the verizon server - gone as in they won't be anywhere on the server (not even in the deleted folder). Your only copy of them will now be on your PC.

Reply to
Home Guy