OT: More on High Fructose Corn Syrup

Page 1 of 3
Just in time for Thanksgiving <g> yet another story on the HFCS scam:
Here's the URL for the Science Daily article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101122172002.htm
One paragraph really hits home:
"With the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s, an increased intake of fructose has occurred and obesity rates have risen simultaneously."
And now, O Ye Stalwarts of ahr, have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends -- and with guests who have nowhere to go.
HB

And during the exact same time period, computer ownership has skyrocketed! HFCS therefore causes computer ownership.
Think, carefully, about /both/ of those alleged correlations.
Ever heard of this logical fallacy?: A preceded B, therefore A caused B. That paragraph in sciencedaily.com is a classic example of that fallacy.

Happy Turkey Day to all of you as well. Diet Cokes all around.
--
Tegger

Yes, Yes, I know about correlation and causation from my many years in the trenches of the non-smokers' rights battles. The tobacco lobby made good use of that "correlation doesn't mean causation" fallacy.
However, I wouldn't write off the HFCS correlation/causation quite so cavalierly.
HB

Higgs Boson wrote:

There are a lot of other factors that can easily explain the increasing weight of Westerners in general and Americans in particular:
* The advent of cable TV, and affordable recorded and recordable video media and equipment to use it with, computers, video games, and Internet, motivates people to be less active
* Population shift into neighborhoods where a car rather than walking is used to go to the corner store
* Employment shifting to occupations with less physical activity
* Increasing size of the single serving soda bottle
* Fast food restuarants coming up with "value meals" and low price for "supersizing" (fries and especially sodas have low actual cost)
* Fast food restaurants making available larger burgers
* Increasing sugar content in fruit juices
* A noted increase in restaurant portions

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:56:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

One observer noted our plates got bigger. In the 50s a standard dinner plate was 9", now they are 12"
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

There's more to it than meets the eye. Ever eaten at TGI Fridays?
--
Tegger

I was thinking more of a Dardens restaurant (Red Lobster/Olive Garden) where they brag about how many pounds of food you get.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:56:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID 717 "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"

As a kid in the '50s, there was a Pepsi jingle for the 12 oz bottles that went "Pepsi Cola hits the spot, two full glasses, that's a lot" So we went from 6 ounces a serving to 16, 20, even more at many places.
Agree with your other notes also.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in

I sit at a computer much of the day. I eat in restaurants a lot (Red Robin's stack-o-rings! Yum!). I drink a lot of 20oz Diet Dr. Peppers. I eat way too many cookies than are good for me, I'm sure. I supersize when they offer it.
So how come I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs?
--
Tegger

Speed?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Oh, no. I haven't done methamphetamines in many years, so that can't be it.
BTW, I forgot to mention Red Robin's deep-fried jalapeno coins. Even more Yum!
--
Tegger

In most cases, eventually the birds come home to roost.

Consider yourself fortunate. I've known a few people like that. No matter how much they eat, they don't pack on the pounds. Just something in your metabolism that works right for you.
On 11/26/2010 10:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Perhaps inefficient digestion and absorption of nutrients? I know a few people that I could swear are able photosynthesize. They don't eat that much but pack on the avoirdupois. :-)
TDD
-snip-

Genetics? Age? That was me until I hit 40 [well- 185, but most the carnies always guessed my weight at 165]--- Despite warnings from my father, I swear the day after my 40th birthday I weighed 210. At 47 I weighed 265 & had a heart attack. Now I fight to stay under 240.
Jim

There's another kind of sugar that's good for you - sort of.
Lactulose is available over-the-counter in Europe but requires a prescription here. The body cannot digest Lactulose, so the stuff moves, eventually, to the large intestine. In the large intestine, the resident bacteria go "Whoopee! Yum-yum time!" and start digesting the Lactulose like crazy. In so doing, this fermentation process calls on the body for more water (why, I don't know).
The result is a VERY effective stool-softener, and, unlike many other stool softeners, can be taken daily for decades.
In sum, Lactulose is a specific for constipation (and a couple of other problems).

Cellulose is also an excellent remedy for constipation; it may be taken safely for an entire lifetime, in any quantity desired, and is a lot cheaper than Lactulose.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Or could make it worse. Taking opiates, for example, slows down the peristalic action of the intestines, allowing waste to pass more slowly through the large intestine. This slower process causes more moisture to be removed from the waste which, in turn, causes constipation.
In this case, the object of the drill is to get MORE moisture into the bowel (which more fiber won't do).