OT model electric train smoke

Just inherited an old electric train that was used, just at x-mas, to go around the base of the tree. There is a switch to activate smoke from the chimney and I remember smoke coming out of the chimney. You needed to put some common household product in the chimney for it to work. I cannot remember what this product is. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks
calhoun" <builderpaul@"pants wrote:

I believe they sold the stuff. If you are in a large city you should be able to find one or more model train shops and I am sure they can help you.
You also might try
http://www.trainweb.org/girr/tips/tips3/smoke_tips.html
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Our's uses vegetable oil....YMMV

IIRC,the Lionel trains used a little white pill.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Any truck stop should have them

calhoun wrote:

calhoun, 12/18/2005,8:59:30 PM, wrote:

My trainset's instructions say to use a drop of common household oil.
--
"Vote for the man who promises least; he\'ll be the least
disappointing." ~ Bernard Baruch

Diesel fuel and fertilizer.

On my 1956 Lionel train, it was 3 in 1 oil. Just don't use too much. It can't hold more than a couple of drops.
But, as other posters advised, it would be wise to ask in a toy railroading newsgroup or at a hobby collector store. You wouldn't want to put the wrong thing in there and have it ruin it or catch fire.
Steve

Fire coming out of the stack? You mean like a GE diesel?
Actually I had one of these as a kid. If it was a Lionel like I had it used a little white pill. Who made yours? On the Lionel the effect didn't last very long but it was cool! at least when I was 8. This guy talks about it: http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/004/593kepwr.asp and also fixing them. How about converting it to using the Zero fluid or the common glycol based fog fluid... well maybe thats going a little far..but... Richard
Mineral oil when I was a kid.
Cheryl
calhoun wrote:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:59:30 GMT, "calhoun"

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/003/746laaso.asp
The secrets of smoke What its made from and how it works
Thanks for all the great replies and links. Learned more about "smoke" than I thought there was to know. 3 in 1 oil seems to work well. It is what I now remember my dad using. I remember because he used to "steel" it from my moms sewing machine cabinet.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:27:02 GMT, "calhoun"