OT:Letter to Southern Califonia newspaper that was not printed

Page 3 of 5
Hedley wrote:

That's a very good summary. However, it doesn't solve the problem. There are only 3 solutions. Give them what they want, isolate them, or exterminate them. Since options one and three are unlikely, we're left with isolation. And, as you point out, that won't work until we give up on using their oil.
BTW, killing the leaders, while an attractive alternative, won't work. The peasantry is so well indoctrinated that they'd just keep creating more of the same.
Now that I've irritated the liberals, I'll do the same for the conservatives by pointing out that the west (UN, US and Britain) share some of the blame for invading the area in the first place (Britain), carving out the state of Israel in a fit of well-deserved guilt (UN), and meddling in Arab politics to keep access to their oil (US). Remember when we considered Saddam one of the good guys?
-- It's turtles, all the way down

Israel is, of course, entirely justified in defending itself. The world gets upset, however, when it uses its *army* to do this.
My own opinion is that it's time to support Israel in DESTROYING Hezbollah. Completely and utterly.
The Arab/Muslim world understands humiliation and defeat. It does not negotiate in good faith, nor does it feel it has to. The Koran allows, nay demands, lies and deception when dealing with infidels.
Do the John Emmons's of the world, with their ideas of moral equivalency ever follow the news? There are certain inflection points in most conflicts where it's painfully obvious which side is right and which side is wrong.
Look at events in the middle east over recent years. For decades Israel tried to negotiate with Arafat to reach some kind of accord where Israel and the Palestinians could coexist. In keeping with the "Can't we all get along?" approach, during the Clinton administration, Arafat was at the White House more frequently than any other head of state. Despite the best efforts of Clinton and enticements of huge amounts of aid to the Palestinians, no agreement could be reached, despite every attempt to be reasonable with Arafat.
So, a couple years ago, Sharon finally decides to unilaterally give the Palestinians much of what they could have had decades ago, had they been willing to negotiate in good faith. He dismantles settlements on the West Bank and returns Gaza to Palestinian control, a good first step. What is the reaction from the Palestinians? Do they now do something positive to meet Israel half way? No, they elect Hamas, a terrorist organization with the stated goal of destroying Israel to be their new govt.
Let's look at Lebanon. Israel occupied souther Lebanon in the early 80's because it was being used as a staging area to attack Israeil There were a UN resolutions calling for Israel to withdraw and for Lebanon's military to assert control of southern Lebanon. Israel withdrew from Lebanon 6 years ago, but Lebanon never took control of southern Lebanon and knowingly allowed Hezbollah to use it as a staging area. Hezbollah was formed two decades ago with the alleged purpose of driving Israel out of Lebanaon. Israel has been out of Lebanon for 6 years, giving Hezbollah exactly what they wanted, yet now Hezbollah starts launching thousands of rockets from Lebanon into Israel.
The above is enough for any fair minded person to conclude which side is reasonable and really seeking peace and which side is totally unreasonable and hell bent on continuing the violence at any cost.

Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt didn't worry about "world opinion" during WWII.
Their war strategy included burning the cities, killing civilians, inducing famine, and later raping the women.
By the time the war was over, the Germans and Japanese were so sick of the horror, they were willing to quit, just to make it stop.
....and that's how you win a war.
<rj>
Graham Walters wrote:

I saw the movie "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. Based on historical accounts it was.
Some of the British were just plain impolite, killing American wounded and so forth. Shame on them.
Still, we must give each its due. There was a time, not so very long ago, when every tolling of the hour by Big Ben meant that, somewhere in the world, the British Ensign was being raised at dawn.
Now, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up a computer (some for the eighth time that day).

That person would be... youself, I'm afraid.

Obviously your mind is already made up, and there's no sense confusing you with anything so mundane as actual facts.
--
Regards,
He's a Brit. Why worry about it? They still think that they gave us this country. They also think they saved us during WW 2. There's no end to their delusions. I do believe that they invented revisionist history.
wrote:

history.
about.
any

And they invented the wheel and airplane, and were the first humans as the Piltdown man proved ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Doug Miller wrote:

He should also check the Brit record during the Boer war where Tommy machine gunned civilians, and penned survivors so closely without medical treatment or food or sanitation that thousands died. But, hey, what the hell, those damned Boers wanted to keep their own company instead of turning it over to businessmen for diamond mining and similar purposes.
Doug Miller wrote:

He should also check the Brit record during the Boer war where Tommy machine gunned civilians, and penned survivors so closely without medical treatment or food or sanitation that thousands died. But, hey, what the hell, those damned Boers wanted to keep their own country instead of turning it over to businessmen for diamond mining and similar purposes.
Doug Miller wrote:

He should also check the Brit record during the Boer war where Tommy machine gunned civilians, and penned survivors so closely without medical treatment or food or sanitation that thousands died. But, hey, what the hell, those damned Boers wanted to keep their own country instead of turning it over to businessmen for diamond mining and similar purposes.
Graham Walters wrote:

How do they cover the "Black Hole of Calcutta" these days?

You mean in the American Colonies, right? Tie any Mamalukes to cannon lately?
The last I hear you had given up keel-hauling, and whipping around the fleet as well. Good.
--

FF

Seems odd that you do not mention th deliberate terrorism by commissioned officers in His Majesty's Army, carried out as a deliberate policy of the North administration.
--Banastre Tarleton, anyone?
Of course, that was merely a cntinuation of a century long poicy f the Crown to use terrorism, and even germ warfare, on any opponnts of Crown policy.
--- Lord Jeffrey Amherst, anyone?
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.

Apparently, you're not as smart as you think. http://www.snopes.com/history/american/hanson.htm

Ah, the irony.
todd

Sorry my mistake, I was referring from memory.
John Hanson was the 3rd President of the United States, Samuel Huntington was the first, followed by Thomas McKean.
If you want to know about history, ask a historian.

Apparently, your only problem isn't your memory. Since there was no "United States of America" until the ratification of the US Constitution in 1789, it would be difficult for Hanson (who died in 1783) to have been president of it. Perhaps you're confusing the alliance of the thirteen states formed under the Articles of Confederation with the United States of America. I suggest you get your history straight.
todd
What do people think about the US dropping atom bombs on two japanese cities? These weren't military targets. Was that terrorism?

The fact is, they were military targets. They were also, obviously, large population centers as well. The stated purpose of using the atomic bombs was to hasten an end to the war and avoid the losses on both sides that would have come with a presumed invasion of the Japanese main island. There's no way of knowing what would have actually taken place had the atomic bombs not been dropped.
And let's not delude ourselves into thinking that these were the only times that cities were targeted in war. According to Wikipedia, the total civilian deaths during WWII exceeeded 32 million.
todd

You don't accept any of the arguments that we were showing our might to Stalin? Japan would have starved itself in short order without an invasion - an island nation with little natural resources for making war materials. They were running out of time once the allies recaptured most of the South Pacific, cut off major supply lines and knocking at their door.
Perhaps one can justify and accept the circumstances leading up to the first bomb dropped on Hiroshima. However, do we have as much standing to defend the second? Given that much of the communications infrastructure of Japan was in tatters, plus lacking modern methods of email, cell phones, satellites, etc - waiting merely 3 days before dropping on Nagasaki may have been rushed, unjustified and more illustrative of sending the Russians a message. They certainly were not our favorite allies and much distrusted. What if we had waited a full week? Did the Japanese submit a formal declaration that they intended to fight on no matter what we had done to Hiroshima?
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

My point is that I don't know what would have happened. Maybe a million people would have starved to death if we just blockaded the island. Would that have been better?

Again, neither of us knows what would have happened had we waited a week. A lot of people would say that the Japanese started the "hot" war with us, and we finished it in the manner of our choosing. The fact that we had been engaged in a bloody war with Japan for well over 3 years probably didn't leave a lot good will toward the enemy at the time. It wouldn't even surprise me to learn that with the thinking of the time, the fact was that we had two nukes to drop and we were going to drop them both. As an aside, Kyoto was the choice of many as the primary target for the first bomb. The fact that Secretary of War Henry Stimson had spent his honeymoon there some time before and had an appreciation for the city is probably the only thing that saved it.
todd