OT: I hope you can help me with this

Page 1 of 3

This is not about home but about my care, washing and waxing using my supply..
There is a 28 year old needing some work - he posted on a website. At first I was going to ask him to help me disassemble my L-Shape desk and take the parts downstairs. Then carry a folding table - adjustble - upstairs to be used as my desk. (My brother - the older one, has had serious foot injury. So, I don't him to move this bulky desk which can ge heavy moving downstairs.)
In the mean time, I need my car washed (by hand) . I don't like using cotton cloth; I use microfiber cloth. I usually wash myself or do touchless wash. The place where they do hand wash + other work, the boss was ok about my request to use my Perma Plate supply and instructed me to tell the people there. But when I went there early one morning, the manager said "there would be no garantee of the work". I interpreted as the worker would probbaly ignore my requst. Beside, those workers would not be able to read instruction on the bottle.
So I asked and the kid wants to do car wash + applying the Perma Plate following the instruction on the bottle. I would do the vacumming.
If he doesn't want to, I'll wash the wheel too because I use a different cleaner that should not be left for more than 15 seconds. But he will dry the wheel after washing the car.
Needless to say, I have all the supply. He doesn't to bring anything. This will be done at my place.
He tells me to come up with the price but I don't know how much to charge. I want to be fair. Any suggestion how much I should offer to pay him?

Call a couple of local places that do this sort of doll-up work on cars and find out what they charge. That should give you some guidance. And, hope he knows what he's doing.

spring and summer. That would include vacuuming inside and tiretreatment.

Now you are scaring me. After all, when I was his age, I would be impatient with this kind of work. I think this kid is more of a computer geek than anything.

Example: Kid begins washing car from the bottom up, using the same sponge he's going to use on the top. Wrong. The lowest parts of a car often have abrasive grit stuck on. Guess what happens if you work from the bottom up.

That reminds me of what I read about car washing, to rinse out with water often. Icould explain to him what guarantee do I have that he would follow the instruction. And I don't want to be rude watching ..
I should wait till Srping and get my brother help me apply that Glorified wax.

Is there some reason why YOU can't do the job?
[.]

cloth), I won't have the energy left for applying Perma Plate which REQUIRES putting pressure.
As much as I am motivated, I am not big frame nor do I have a lot of hand strenght or upper body strenght. Then applyign Perma Plate would become a lousy job.
One way I though of doing this was wash a portion of the car, dry, and apply Perma Plate. Dot hat every week, spliting the big job to 4 jobs.
But things would go wrong as they always do and I'd get busy and would probably never finsih the whole routine.

Sounds like a good opportunity to do two things:
- Increase your physical strength - Learn to see things through to completion.
How old are you?

There you g. Now oyu think ia m so weak that I can't do anything. I got plenty of things to spend my strength on. No one I have known has kept the hosue cleaner (dust free) than mine just because i need it that way. That is just o show where my strength goes while some of you probably vacuum the house once every six months.

Things? You sound like I never complete things. How do you think i finsihed my thesis in graduate school?

***YOU*** said you'd probably run out of hand strength before finishing your car. Be resourceful. Use a soft wax.

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education". -Mark Twain
How old are you?
says...

Amanda - let this lady help you - there are two things that will make your life easier in this regard:
1. This does not have to be done every week. Really. Maybe every couple of months, if even that often.
2. When you hire someone for this sort of thing, maybe they can do it exactly the way you want. But it's normal to charge more for that! Working people have experience, and have gotten used to certain ways of doing things - their tools, suppliers, and materials. So, when it comes to little stuff, you can really make your life easier by going with the flow a lot more and letting those whom you hire determine exactly how to get your car clean. Really, it doesn't make all that much difference. Let the person you hire do the work, let go of the small details, and you'll have a decent job done most likely, and someone who wouldn't mind doing it again for you (for hire).
OK?
Banty

I wax my car every 10 years, whether it needs it or not. And I only keep a car 7 years. The next one usually looks pretty good, so I wait 10 years.
No, they don't look like showroom cars, but they look fine afaic.
I Simonized my first car, a 1950 Olds that I got in 1964, and when I was done, it had a shine 3 feet deep. But I found that I never looked at it anyhow. I'd walk up to the car, get in it, and I couldn't see if it shined or not. It was good to do it once, but once was enough.
I don't wash it very often either.
I won't have a car with a black roof because they are too hot in the sun, and I don't have a white car because they always look dirty, if they're dirty. Any other color works well.
A couple of my neighbors wash their car every day, or at least wipe off the dew carefully.
Others wash their cars once a week, or in the winter everytime there is a warm day. Me, I'm doing things that last with my time.

It won't need waxing by then. It would need a new paint.

This will be my first time. When I bought the car, I was given a slae pitch for Perma Plate that would protect the paint if there are bird dropping, etc.
The dealer offered 7 year warranty and reduced the price and so I took it, only to be told when they handed out the bottle when I picked up the car, that I was supposed to follow up by applying it every 6 mons.
Can you believe they wanted $700. I didn't show any interest - I knew places where I coudl egt it waxed - and so they came down to $260, which was still a rip off but I thought for 7 years warranty, it wasn't a bad invetment since it woudl save me trips to car detail places where I woudl have to sit and wait. That was Aug 2005. Since then I have grown up quite a bit and I have become mean sometimes by necessity :)
Withing a week afgter I got the car, the debris form a truck came flying to my frong when this idiot guy cut in front of me, changing the lane. It turned oput that they were dirt formed into little rocks. They broke apart upon hitting my car and the damage was not ntoicebale. I think that wax helped prevented scratched.
Soon afetr that, there was bird dropping, a bunch of them, at a grocery store where I never get any.

I am not doing to make it look good. I do it for preventive maintence of the paint.

I am the last person who cares about how a car look as long as it is function well but most of the world judges you based on how your car looks. I don't even care about that. I am just for maintenance though it's been more than 12 mons since I bought the car. I was supposed to do the first follow up in six mons. After this, I'll probably do once sometime next year, if I do it at all.

I just took my '95 car into be painted yesterday. But that is because it had a bad color that didnt' adhere to the metal. Grey. For some reason grey is often a bad color on Chryslef. I had annother grey chrysler that peeled but I figured they had 7 years to fix the problem. Maybe they only had a few weeks, because it took 7 years for the peeling to start, and my next car was only 7 years newer.

BTW, I think this took close to 6 hours, but I did it over several days.

Also, don't park under trees.

Sure I believe it. I know how expensive it is to get work done. But I don't do anything, and except when the paint peels, it looks pretty good.

CAr bodies do a lot better than they used to, so I'm happy. Where do you live?

Youd be surprised. The dropings I got when parked by the grocery store was not under the tree. The other time, was a little bit under the tree. I needed the shade.

Sacramento, CA. Not a abd place. Just that this is the first car I own that I really like. It's 4-wheel drive.

What's a droping?
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 03:53:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Seems right to me.
Why is it one is supposed to wash walls from the bottom up? IIRC. I've never understood that.

Are you saying it seems right to wash a car from the bottom up?
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:13:05 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

No. I was saying that what you said seems right, and that's not what yhou said afaict. If you said to wash from the bottom up then I don't agree with you.
But I still ask why they say to wash walls from the bottom up, iirc. I've never understood that or their explanation for it.

Who are the "they" who wash walls from the bottom up? I've never heard such a thing, and it makes no sense at all.