OT: How to get cops to enforece law

Page 1 of 3
I'm living in a densely populated urban area (alias "Big City"). There is an ordinance forbidding use of fireworks.
The flake across the alley is a certified nuisance. Has a black lab that just barks and barks for no reason. Contrary to city ordinance, but he's a sweet talker and the cops don't want to enforce the law, so the dog continues to bark and bark.
Flake likes his fireworks. Fired off lots of roman candle thingies the other day. I got lots of cardboard packing from the candles in my back yard.
Flake is dangerous. Could easily start a house-fire. I tell him "I don't care about firecrackers, but please don't shoot balls of fire into our sky", and it's like water off a ducks back.
Cops wanna enforce the law only when it's *their* call and they have a desire to enforce.
How do ya get them to enforce the law as written?
Thx, Will
On 6/26/2011 8:21 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I believe that this post is not at all off topic.
If you have evidence that said 'Flake' is accountable for the irresponsible discharge of fireworks, I suggest that you file a formal complaint with the local PD, and perhaps the FD. Simply calling and complaining may not suffice; file a written formal complaint. That may get the attention of the local authorities.
I'm all for the responsible enjoyment of fireworks, but when such discharge endangers surrounding homes, I'll be the first one to file a formal complaint.
Good luck.
On 6/26/2011 9:14 PM, RosemontCrest wrote:

I should ad that simply filing a complaint will not prevent the idiot from continuing its behavior, but it will document a likely perpetrator should your house go up in flames. ;-)
On 6/26/2011 9:14 PM, RosemontCrest wrote:

I should add that simply filing a complaint will not prevent the idiot from continuing its behavior, but it will document a likely perpetrator should your house go up in flames. ;-)

Complain to the fire dept, first. As an ex-fireman, I can tell you they really hate going out on runs when they're eating. ;)
nb
On 6/26/2011 9:42 PM, notbob wrote:

;-)
What follows is definitely off-topic. I work for a company that manufactures AEDs (Physio-Control) and I have experienced "ride-along" rides that support nb's claim. Don't mess with your local FD. ;-)
On 6/26/2011 9:42 PM, notbob wrote:

;-)
What follows is definitely off-topic. I work for a company that manufactures AEDs (Physio-Control) and I have experienced "ride-along" rides that support nb's claim. Don't mess with your local FD unless you have good reason. ;-)

You're just pullin' my leg. Eh? Eh??
If not, tell me (in detail) what the FD could/would-likely do.
Will

Well, I was being facetious, of course, but if you get the FD involved, they are more likely to force law enforcement to respond. More firemen are killed in the line of duty than cops, so they don't like ppl doing things that may put them in harms way. It's one thing to have to respond to a fire that is accidental, but if some jerk is risking a fire on purpose, the FD will be more than happy to show you exactly how much weight they can bring to bear. ;)
nb
On 6/27/2011 2:55 PM, notbob wrote:

Heck if he videotapes the firebug in action and shows it to a fire inspector from the FD along with a TV news reporter, something might happen. :-)
TDD

So maybe just stop by the local FD station and explain the situation. Right?
Thx, Will

Not exactly certain what you mean by "file a formal complaint". You mean you'd sign your name to it and be potentially responsible for prosecuting the legal action (and maybe defending a counter-suit)? That could be a nasty can of worms.
I don't mind collecting evidence and maybe appearing in court, but, for my tiny $, the police damn well ought to take some responsibility for enforcing the law. As written.

I'll likely need it. :-(
Will

If you can record him setting them off, either with a videocamera or cellphone, that would be convincing evidence to go along with your written complaint.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Skip the cops. Go directly to the intake division of the District Attorney's office. If it's a city ordinance that's being violated, go to the clerk's office of your municipal court.
Cops (usually) cannot arrest or cite a citizen for a misdemeanor complaint made by another citizen - the cop has to witness the violation himself. If the dog is not barking, or your neighbor is not firing off explosives when they arrive, all the cop can do is "advise" the miscreant.
Be prepared for retaliation.

Man up and just go kick the living crap out of him.
Steve
On 6/27/2011 6:57 PM, Steve B wrote:

Well, there is that recourse. ;-)

"Don't Get Mad, Get Even: The Big Book of Revenge    2006    "
I had no idea this guy was still around and publishing. I may have to invest. Got a few jerks around here. ;)
nb

I'm not about to test the intentions of Uncle Andy.
--
Best regards
Han
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:49:37 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Are you sure about that?
--- Posted via
Wilbur H. wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. In my state:
Art. 14.01. [212] [259] [247] OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.     (b) A peace officer may arrest an offender without a warrant for any offense committed in his presence or within his view.
And
Art. 14.03. [214] [261] [249] AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICERS. (a) Any peace officer may arrest, without warrant:
(2) persons who the peace officer has probable cause to believe have committed an assault resulting in bodily injury to another person and the peace officer has probable cause to believe that there is danger of further bodily injury to that person;
(4) persons who the peace officer has probable cause to believe have committed an offense involving family violence;
(6) a person who makes a statement to the peace officer that would be admissible against the person under Article 38.21 and establishes probable cause to believe that the person has committed a felony.
So, for a misdemeanor, the victim must first file a complaint and get a warrant issued. THEN a peace officer can execute the warrant and arrest the malefactor.