OT: How a 70-Year-Old Idea Could Make Engines Way More Efficient

Interesting short video and story.

How a 70-Year-Old Idea Could Make Engines Way More Efficient

Stormin' Norman

Since the invention of the internal combustion engine people have always come up with a "better way" of doing things but seem to always fall back to pretty much the same design as has always been.

Today's V-6's or V-8's are just plain reliable and with regular oil changes can easily make 150k - 200k miles with no problems.

Reply to
philo

my engines have never run using "explosions".

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Here's a YouTube link if your phone or tablet won't play the original link.

I wonder if they've tried that design with diesel?

It's an interesting design.

Reply to
cowabunga dude

Looks like it is basically a fuel injected 2 stroke that takes power going in both directions. Outboard manufactures are pretty good at keeping the gasses moving efficiently and computers can get the fuel charge right so I suppose it might work.

Reply to
gfretwell

It has been used for quite a few years in deisel and mulktifuel engines. The old Commer Knocker is one example. The Fairbanks Morse submarine engines, the Napier Deltic,, the Junkers Jumo,, and Doxford Marine are all opposed cyl compression ignition engines. I believe the T3 Commer can run spark or compression ignition as a multifuel, but may use spark all the time.

Reply to
clare

We had or still have a local company here run by a guy that claimed 20+ years ago to have a new miracle engine design. Essentially it was an engine that used rotary valves instead of the conventional design. He was selling interests in the business to the public. Eventually the SEC went after him, but even after that, he somehow apparently kept it up. Last I heard he had some new big deal with a former Soviet Block country to build cars. Meanwhile he tooled around in a Rolls.

Only problem with it was I never saw an independent test report that showed it did the miracles claimed, ie better fuel economy, less pollution, etc. It seems to me if you have such a design, you build some prototypes, get it tested by a university or similar, then sell the design to the auto companies.

Reply to
trader_4

Based upon what I saw in the video I posted above, the San Diego company seems to be doing a professional job developing the technology.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Per trader_4:

Maybe he and Elizabeth Holmes should hook up..... -)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

They have been shooting at the old Otto engine for a century and he still comes out on top in the end. Even the venerable 2 stroke is fading fast.

Reply to
gfretwell